Can fish have heart attacks?

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Can fish have heart attacks?

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 am

Ok I know what your thinking it sounds like a really stupid question; but let me explain myself before you tune me out. I had a little angelfish a seemingly healthy fish that i had bought from the petsmart in the prominode (yes i know but they were on sale for $2) and i brought it home and put it in my 55 gallon tank along with a mate and they seemed fine then i was watching them saturday night and they they were chasing each other around the tank. Then all the sudden one stops and drops to the bottom of the tank like a lead balloon; dead. So that is the prelude to my question can angelfish or fish in general have heart attacks? Cause I don't know of any other way of explaining what I saw.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Can fish have heart attacks?

Post by bluwtr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:26 am

Hey Jamie. Yes fish can have heart attacks just like you and I in a sense in that they can have heart problems. They can have anuerisms, strokes etc. It could be any number of things. Sorry for your loss but it happens. I would actually most likely guess that it may have died from tank shock more than anything else however. I won't go into the whole natural selection thing, but if your fish had some kind of underlying condition, it most likely would have died before now.

HTH

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Re: Can fish have heart attacks?

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:51 am

bluwtr wrote:Hey Jamie. Yes fish can have heart attacks just like you and I in a sense in that they can have heart problems. They can have anuerisms, strokes etc. It could be any number of things. Sorry for your loss but it happens. I would actually most likely guess that it may have died from tank shock more than anything else however. I won't go into the whole natural selection thing, but if your fish had some kind of underlying condition, it most likely would have died before now.

HTH
Thanks Wes.