A question about alge

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

A question about alge

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:19 am

Not to sure where to put this because it is a freshwater topic but its also a plant so at he moment I am going with plant section. Ok here we go; I have alge growing in my tank in a very strange place and i don't know if i can use algeflex to fix it; its growing on the cover as well as on the lightbulbs in my ten gallon tank? I realized this, this morning when i went to turn the light on and i hear a loud pop when i did so one of the bulbs blew i replaced is a few hours later and when i pulled the fried bulb out it was covered in green alge as well have the cover protecting the bulb from the water. can i coat it with something to help slow the growth down in that spot or stop it all together would be great. I cleaned all the alge off of it but its not something i enjoyed sticking a paper towel it a bulb socket.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: A question about alge

Post by bluwtr » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 am

Jami, not really sure what is going on, but you should NOT have algae growing on your bulbs. FORGET the fix in a bottle. You have algae because of nutrients--cure them; cure the algae. The only way I can imagine algae growing on your bulb is due to water splash but in a very fine mist. This usually caused from bubbles popping on the surface. As far as solutions--water change; shorter light period; decreased feedings. Sorry, but that's the way to deal with algae.

Good luck.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am

bluwtr wrote:Jami, not really sure what is going on, but you should NOT have algae growing on your bulbs. FORGET the fix in a bottle. You have algae because of nutrients--cure them; cure the algae. The only way I can imagine algae growing on your bulb is due to water splash but in a very fine mist. This usually caused from bubbles popping on the surface. As far as solutions--water change; shorter light period; decreased feedings. Sorry, but that's the way to deal with algae.

Good luck.
Ok thanks Wes. I know i am supposed to kill it at the source which is the bloom but how do you find the bloom when the stuff growing on a light fixure. I need a different kind of hood for my 10 gallon but unfortunatly they only make that one kind that I know of.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:46 am

Wes is spot on. You have moisture getting to bulb , most likely from airstone or filter return, resolve that and resolve the algae on the light bulb mystery.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:48 am

Gerwin wrote:Wes is spot on. You have moisture getting to bulb , most likely from airstone or filter return, resolve that and resolve the algae on the light bulb mystery.
the filter is UG and the there is no splash back that i can see coming out of the water. I will keep looking i know i have to eventually find the source.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:36 am

a bubble that rises to the surface "pops" and creates a water spritz

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:05 am

Gerwin wrote:a bubble that rises to the surface "pops" and creates a water spritz
ok not much i can do about that.