Starting over..... wanting input on new game plan

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Starting over..... wanting input on new game plan

Post by ReneM » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Well so now that my 29gal has been taken care of (per Gerwin's advice, ty!) I am left with one pleco, hence starting over.

I want to be smarter this time, and have been thinking about all the issues I have run into. It seems to me that many of these wouldn't have been a problem if I had a) did more frequent water changes; and b) had plants. A lot of what I was reading online when trying to save my fish (is it this? what about that? stuff), I kept finding things that said "having plants, of course, takes care of this issue". Course I knew this was good for water/oxygen/co2, but in my ignorance I didn't realize how much o/co2 affected things like pH, ammonia, nitrates.

So I have an idea rolling through my head... and the beginning of a plan...

- Instead of getting new fish, concentrate on PLANTS only.... work on getting a good little water garden (or whatever it should be called) going...
- No more fake decorations that can be great hideouts for "poop storage" (my gravel was pretty clean when I did the complete water change, but OH the crud underneath my 10" faux grist mill!!!)
- Look for more natural decor that provides a hiding place when needed, but not pockets where water can get trapped and stagnate
- When I get all that done... and my water tests out good...THEN add fish

Is this a good plan? Is there a better one? Thoughts?
And Gerwin, how much do your plants run (I know there are varieties, looking for anything that doesn't look like an air plant lol - and is hardy)

ReneM
Discus Member

Re: Starting over..... wanting input on new game plan

Post by ReneM » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am

OOps forgot to add this in...

With the hoods I have on my aquarium (basic, like what you get when you buy a tank - not the good kind) and a tank that is 2.5'-3' tall, I will need to stick with the "low light" plants, right?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

ReneM wrote:OOps forgot to add this in...

With the hoods I have on my aquarium (basic, like what you get when you buy a tank - not the good kind) and a tank that is 2.5'-3' tall, I will need to stick with the "low light" plants, right?
yes

as far as the first part of your questions,
I like a natural looking aquarium but I do not have a problem for others who like all the ornaments, its your tank, its your mini world and if you like the way it looks everyone else can go fly a kite! so do something because you like it. There is no problem with the fake stuff, that is not why you had issues and now knowing that debris will accumulate under decor (just as it would nat. rock or wood) just siphon under it periodically. If you truly like real plants fine, I like them too but depending on how deep you wanna get into it, it can be a much effort as a reef tank :crazy: But don't think that a few plants will solve or eliminate anything, you will be very mistaken, as a point, many experts recommend WEEKLY water changes on live planted tanks as of much as 50% and you should use purified water.
Now a Word
For ALL READERS, across this world ,from your Aquatic Geru 8)
Its a HOBBY take your time putting it together, enjoy every step along the way, and if you do it right you may not have to repeat any :D What Hobby is finished in a day? it would not be a hobby. Hobbies are something you take pleasure in doing in your spare time, a diversion from everyday issues. If this is not the goal, then a new hobby is in order :D

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:59 pm

I like the natural look a lot better... and have had just rocks and a plastic plant for the longest time. I added the decorations because I thought they would be great for my grandson, but the three pieces I put in my tanks all turned brown after several months, and scrubbing didn't help. So, to me (and since I don't like them) they weren't worth it.

I don't think the decoration I had was to blame. It was definitely my poor housekeeping. But it did appear that there was a lot more gunk under there than what I got out of the gravel. So just me.. I would rather have stuff in there that allows for easier water flow.

Plants... I don't think i want a lot, just several that will grow to different lengths, and are hardy. I can do the water changes, that's not a problem anymore. Believe me, I've learned :)

Will a regular water purifier work?

As always Gerwin, thank you!