tank set-up question

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

tank set-up question

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey Gerwin.
I am going to be setting up a small tank for my two year old nephew and his house is on well water is there anything i need to do to that water once i have it in the tank or do i not have to add start right because it's not city water? :?: i am not to sure. the water doesn't have all that junk that city water does but I just want to be 100% sure what to do before i set anything up for him.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Re: tank set-up question

Post by Doug » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Well water is usually softer than city water. Great for some fish-- tetras, for one-- not so much for others (livebearers, for example). Get a sample and let Ger test it for you to see what's up. Gearing the tank towards the natural characteristics of the water source may be the way to go.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:01 pm

ok will do thanks Doug

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:25 am

even more imp[important is teach him and the family , about patience and over feeding :thumbup:

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Gerwin wrote:even more imp[important is teach him and the family , about patience and over feeding :thumbup:
I was planning on dropping a five day feeder in there i will be staying at there place two days a week and i didn't want them to worry about over feeding or anything like that. i have a tone of baby guppies and mickey platies i was going to give him a couple.

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:34 pm

Jamilw1989 wrote:I was planning on dropping a five day feeder in there i will be staying at there place two days a week and i didn't want them to worry about over feeding or anything like that.
The calcium carbonate (plaster of Paris) those feeders are molded out of will affect the pH in a small tank. They're also not designed to be a complete, balanced food source.
i have a tone of baby guppies and mickey platies i was going to give him a couple.
Those would be the livebearers I spoke of that don't do so hot in soft well water.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:43 am

yeah I am not a fan of 7 day feeders either, better to just put the correct amount in one of those pill boxes, then they open for the day and feed the prescribed amount.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:11 am

ok will do. what type of fish should i get him them? i want something thats kinda active that swims around a lot give him something to watch and be fascinated with.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:33 pm

barbs , tetras, danios all fit the bill

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Gerwin wrote:barbs , tetras, danios all fit the bill
Ok, thanks. its a 3 gallon tank i think neons would be my best bet. I need some tetras for my tank too so will see you soon. maybe a week from this coming Thursday.

Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Only three gallons will be difficult to maintain consistent temperature. Among freshwater fish, neons break out with ich easily in less-than-optimal conditions. I'd say danios, barbs, or a hardier tetra like serpae would be better.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 pm

Doug wrote:Only three gallons will be difficult to maintain consistent temperature. Among freshwater fish, neons break out with ich easily in less-than-optimal conditions. I'd say danios, barbs, or a hardier tetra like serpae would be better.
ok thanks.