all fish dying.

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

all fish dying.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:25 am

Hey Gerwin what would cause all my fish to die over night with-out any visable cause? all my fish in my ten gallon tank exept one just died i noticed it this morning when i went to go feed them they were all dead.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: all fish dying.

Post by bluwtr » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:25 am

To chime in, my first thought would be ammonia, low O2 or something got in the tank such as an insecticide. Sorry to hear about your loss.

bct15
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by bct15 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:22 pm

I've had a faulty heater kill a bunch of cichlids overnight, as well as a faulty power head in a sump raise the voltage of a marine tank stressing my corals and fish (killing a few).

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:14 pm

i think it may have been my filter because they were all hanging out of the filter although i did have a few laying dead at the bottom of the tank.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:24 am

I try not being in the guessing business, so water test, water test,water test :D but when that is impossible we can go through process of elimination and narrow it down.
All die at once, eliminates disease, and makes it a water quality issue. Now you have to figure if its filtration issue, not cycled issue, aeration issue, outside chemical issue......back to first statement, now you have to test water to narrow it down another level.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:19 am

Stray voltage?

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Gerwin- well i tore everything a part again. washed it all out because everything reeked of dead fish. I chucked my filter because one of the fish i think gone sucked in there. the rest where laying dead on the gravel. I just now put an under-gravel filter in there, bought it at pet-smart when we dropped the dog off to get a hair cut. its the strangest thing i have ever used but's pumping. you'll see me in a few weeks, i want neons to go in that tank and you are the only place i will buy them from.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:49 pm

i will bring water with me to have it tested. I am just gonna let it sit and pump for a week. or two

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:14 pm

gerwin- i bought a test kit at walmart this evening and it showed that my amonia was in the danger level so i dropped in an amonia clear tablet how long should it take to clear up?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:00 am

I would not worry so much about using chemicals, just let the tank run and hopefully in a few weeks it will go down naturally

all things are not solved from a pill :wink:

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:03 am

Gerwin wrote:I would not worry so much about using chemicals, just let the tank run and hopefully in a few weeks it will go down naturally

all things are not solved from a pill :wink:
OK, well i tossed one in there last night. It didn't kill the little phantom fish so i will just let it run and cycle through for a few weeks and if that little fish is still alive in a few weeks then it should be ok....I think.
I will still bring water into be tested some time in about 3 weeks from tomorrow.