Tank greenish and cloudy

Freshwater Tropical Fish & Plants Discussion
Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

Tank greenish and cloudy

Post by Damion » Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 pm

Tank had been running fine for some time, but we recently moved the tank (55g, mostly barbs) into the living room where it gets a bit more light during the day.
We do not mind that algae is growing a bit faster than the plecos can keep up with (see you very soon Gerwin :wave: ) but even after my wife cleaned tank, did 25% water-swap, etc - the tank appears cloudy and has a green hue to it.

FTR - I had a crawfish in it from the pond for about 3 weeks - I just released him back to the pond because he partially ate one of my wife's barbs (no, I do not think he killed it, but the evidence was overwhelming that he had a feast afterward).

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Damion

Damion
Angel Member
My SetUp: 55g Barb tank...Tiger Barbs, Black Rubies, Green Barbs, Banded Leporinus, and a Red Fin Shark. Clean up crew consists of two small (3") plecos

Re: Tank greenish and cloudy

Post by Damion » Sun May 08, 2011 9:22 pm

Also, I did already check the water with the little testing strip - everything was in balance chemically.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:44 pm

It could be just the way the lights hitting the tank. or it could be the algea is growing even faster being in more light.
as for it being cloudy it should clear up after the filters ran for a while. at least thats my experience with tanks, and water changes.
There is stuff you can buy to clear it up but it would just be better if you let the filter do that job for you.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 pm

you have a got a "green water" algae bloom, possible from the introduction of some pond water, either way I got the trick to get rid of it.
See ya soon!

Damion
Angel Member

Post by Damion » Mon May 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Alright - probably see you tomorrow afternoon.
My wife is giving me enough issues about adding the crawfish - don't tell her this is my fault, lol :-)