Deconstructing a 75g Construction

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
phisher
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Deconstructing a 75g Construction

Post by phisher » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:47 pm

Thought I would share the build for the 75g tank that will be going into my living room. I began by drilling the tank-check out the thread. I plan to keep minimal live rock in the display with a mix of sps, lps and soft corals. I am pulling out all the stops on this set up, going with a lot of bells-and-whistles. I will go more into equipment as the build progresses.

I did not take pictures of the start of construction but here is the basic framework of the stand.

I extended the stand an additional 4" in the back so I can have the plumbing contained in the stand, not coming out of the back. I want to be able to have the stand flush with the wall-or very close.

Construction thus far is top grade pine 1x4 and 1x6. I used pocket screws throughout. This keeps me from having to install "nailers" on the inside of the corners to attach everything together. This saves me some room inside the stand and removes some weight. Plus the pocket joints are very solid in this application and keep the weight of the tank off the screws.

You can also see from those shots I had to route the sides of one end of the stand to make the opening wider. I plan to have doors on the end as well as the front. The end doorway had to be enlarged so I would be able to slide the sump out if ever needed.

phisher
Discus Member

Re: Deconstructing a 75g Construction

Post by phisher » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:54 pm

Next comes the skinning. To keep the stand lighter and less bulky (and cheaper) I'm using 1/4" oak for the front and sides. Little tip, when making long cuts in plywood use masking tape to help reduce tear-out on the finished side.

Here you can see the difference. This is extreme, my blade is getting dull.

Tomorrow (weather permitting) I will prime the entire structure and the inside to the oak panels to hopefully keep moisture out. I will also ass the sides and front panels and use a router with a flush cutting trimmer bit to cut the opening for the doors.

I will post pictures as it progresses.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:46 pm

I didn't have my camera with me while I was working but I did take some pictures of progress. Basically I skinned the front and sides with oak. I used a 1" laminate trimmer bit and my router to cut the openings for the doors.

There will be double doors on one side to get the sump in and out if need.

The openings look out of center...because they are. I am using some premade doors that I found locally so I am building to accommodate them. When the doors are hung all will be centered :D .

I also painted the back of the tank black. I used paint intended for use on plastic, it turned out really good.

Out of town this weekend, so more progress next week.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:48 am

damn Joe! nice work dude
and all this time I thought you was just a AC guy!
everyone's talents never cease to amaze me.
once again I can not thank you enough for the extra effort in the posts...hell I even learned something with the masking tape trick! actually I think it was more a reminder which I had forgotten but none the less perfect

So everyone now we know who to get our custom stands made from

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:28 pm

Wish I had known about the masking tape trick when we were working on my stand and canopy. Least I know for the next time I do wood work. :D

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I would be willing to help someone with a project but I don't think I would build one for somebody. I will have $300 in materials alone in this stand. By the time you add in extras like screws, glue and sandpaper (not too mention little "oops") then labor you could have a professional build one.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Anyway progress, I finished priming and painting any remaining wood surface that I wasn't planning to stain. I also began adding some basic trim pieces.

Not sure why it looks so yellow but the trim is oak also.

Also began hanging the doors.

Front

Open

And side doors

Opened

All doors hung

Full access

Next I need to do the crown molding at the top. This will hide the tank trim, then finish.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:47 pm

Looking great! Can't wait to see the finished product, filled with all kinds of goodies from our LFS. :D

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:03 pm

All done but the crying...I mean staining.

Sorry for all the shadows.

Oak trim is hard to find so I used 1x3 oak and a router to make most of it.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:14 pm

Very nice job, any updates

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:22 pm

Unfortunately I am in Fort Smith, AR this week but hopefully back to it this weekend.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:32 am

+1

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Sun May 30, 2010 3:45 pm

So back on track, been busy with some other things but its time to get this going again. I told Gerwin I would have water in the tank this weekend....but the wife is now unhappy with where we were going to put the tank so....maybe not.

These are all photos from behind the tank, I am going to seal the back to try and quiet everything down once I'm finished.

Progress:

I am having a tough time getting everything to fit in the stand the way I want. I am really trying to stay way from a sump area that looks like whats behind your average pc or TV! I have completely re-plumbed 3 times but I think I am happy with this result.

Return manifold, I did not want to have the plumbing weight resting on the pump or sump in any way so this manifold supports the weight. Its 1.5" pvc that's very securely attached to the stand...I could do chin-ups off this thing...if I could do chin-ups!
Last edited by phisher on Sun May 30, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Sun May 30, 2010 3:47 pm

The "t" that reduces to 3/4" branches to feed the carbon, phos and Ca reactors. I wanted to avoid extra pumps as much as possible. I ball valve controls flow to each.

I love the duel exhaust look! Skimmer and ca rx in place, it was very tight fit.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Sun May 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Here are some shots with the back panel in place from the front and side doors.

Left side, return pump and plumbing...need to find a way to get a CO bottle in there! :shock:

Right side, you can see the ca rx and the feed for the carbon and phos rx's.

Long ways, you can sort of see it all from the end door.