Ich attack for reefs

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
goalk33p3r
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Ich attack for reefs

Post by goalk33p3r » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:23 pm

I am currently using this in my tank and it's doing great but one question. It says to turn off my skimmer when I dose but do I keep it off till I stop using this product or just when I treat the tank?

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: Ich attack for reefs

Post by Redfish » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:04 am

I don't know anything about the product you are using, do your fish in the tank have Ich, I am guessing yes since you are using a product for it. I have done a bit of reading on Ich products to treat a display tank and fish. Wes and Gerwin can chime in on this if I am wrong. Every post in the different forums that I have read from people who have tried these display tank concoctions have failed. The only answer that I have ever read to remove Ich from a display tank that has worked, that I have read about. Is to remove all of the fish from the display tank, put them into a quarantine tank and treat the fish in the quarantine tank. The display tank has to be fish free for a certain amount of time, I think 8 weeks, the Ich will die after that time because of not having a fish to host. Not really sure about this, but I think Inverts in the display tank can't host the Ich virus, so they would be save left in the display tank, they wouldn't survive the Ich treatment in the quarantine tank. Now, I have read this also, you can put a UV Sterilizer on your system while the fish are in the quarantine tank and it, from what I have read can keep Ich in check when you put the fish back into the display tank. The answer to the problem is to quarantine every fish in a quarantine tank before it goes into the display tank. But I am not the one to be preaching here :lol: :lol: :( I have a quarantinte tank set up and running, and haven't put a fish in it yet :( have put them all straight into the display tank. I will quarantinte the Yellow Tang before it goes into the display tank though. If you would like, since my Quarantine tank is up and running, bring a few fish over and you can treat them there if you like.

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:52 am

At Gerwins suggestion we put a large uv sterilizer on running 500 gph thru it and have had no more ich. Just saying. I am not an expert just worked for me.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:47 pm

Thanks Pete I will keep treating for a week and see how everything goes if nothing changes I will bring them over it's mainly my naso he has black spots all over him gerwin told me to use this stuff and it seemed to work till I ran out two days later covered in black spots . I was running a uv at the same time but needed to get a new bulb . So now I got a new bulb and the big bottle of ich attack and trying to win the war against ich is there any thing else that would help me?

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:46 pm

Patience, patience, patience,,,,
And cuss words always made me feel better! :mrgreen:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Pete is correct in that the only sure fire way to get rid of Ich is to remove all fish for 8 weeks. As Pete was saying, it breaks the reproductive cycle of the protozoan. Without a fish host they die. Most people make the mistake of treating their fish in a QT and then putting them back in the tank too soon. The ich is still in the tank but just in a different stage of life. When the fish come back--BOOM--the host has returned and the cycle picks up where it left off. Next thing you know the fish have ich again, and on, and on, and on.

Common misconception is that ich can live in rock and such forever, but that isn't true. Remove the host--kill the pest. Running the UV sterilizer is a great thing to do and they do work, but the limitation of them is that every drop of water doesn't go by the bulb so that leaves some untreated water. Also, "contact time" is what kills and if the flow through is too high, the contact time may be too short.

HTH and good luck.

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:54 am

Well I learned my lesson the hard way. My naso sailfin yellow tang clown mandarin and pipe made it. All I have left now is my flame hawk which is doing well but I need to catch him and find somewhere for him. I am going to go 2 months no fish and try my luck again but this time I am going to quarantine my fish!!! I want to do a 20 gallon long. Now that I am new to all of this part how is the best way to set one up and what do I need? But on a good note all of my coral are doing great and popping new heads and are very full. Also what about the inverts I have.(snails, crabs, cleaner and blood shrimp and anenome). Do I need to take them out as well? They are doing just fine and shrimp has molted quite a few times during all of the crazy ness thanks for the help guys. Should have listened to y'all earlier and now I know QUARANTINE YOUR FISH!!!! Lol

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Great Question :clap: What does everyone use for a QT tank? In setting up my 300 I am going to be adding fish so will have to set one up also. I would like to hear what others are using.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:11 pm

I have one set up next to my display tank, its a 29g tank with a 70g HOB filter and a power head. I have a few PVC fittings on the bottom. Here is a link to something worth reading:

http://lareefclub.com/phpbb3.09/viewtop ... 72&t=16813