Toadstool Coral

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
Dawgfan
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Toadstool Coral

Post by Dawgfan » Thu May 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Ok, someone edumacate me on Toadstools. (Picture attached) What is this guy doing? Will it eventually erect itself? Also, it has developed a bit of a strage coloration and some kind of dimpel.

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Re: Toadstool Coral

Post by Shadow1 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:14 pm

Looks like mine late at night, during the day it has little spines that came out all over it. There a lot of folks on here with a lot mor knowledge than me. So let them chime in but it looks OK to me.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu May 31, 2012 10:30 pm

Give it a few days to a week. Toadstools can get pissed sometimes and they will retract their polyps and turn colors even. Also, leather corals will "shed" their skin from time to time and when they do, the surface looks almost like it is covered in a waxy substance. You can help remove it by gently brushing it with your finger tip, using a turkey baster to gently blow it off, or even use an old CLEAN toothbrush to gently wipe it off. After they shed, usually a day or two later they are happy again.

Are all of your tank parameters in line? What are the actual numbers? What kind of lights and how long? Make sure there are not parasite or that any of your cleanup crew are attacking it.

HTH.

Dawgfan
Guppy Member

Post by Dawgfan » Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm

Temp 80F
Salinity 1.023
PH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitirite 0
Nitrate <5ppm (Looks like 0 on color chart, but I know there is some there)
Haven't gotten the kit for calcium and alkalinity yet...
About 6 Hours of light daily

Haven't noticed cleaners messing with it. Scooter Blenny likes to scoot around on top of it though.

Everything else is doing great. Frog spawn isn't growing as fast as I would like, but everything else is great.

Was having a problem with Nitrates a few weeks ago, but Gerwin told me to get rid of everything in my filter except those filtration pads and it cleared up. Also started feeding a little less and got rid of the bubble sponge. (Bio Cube) Do 4 gal water changes weekly with RO/DI, and reef crystals.

Thanks for the help.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:34 am

make sure he is getting decent current, and like the others said, just watch fro a few days. I have seen them do this for weeks and turn around over night

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:03 pm

I have noticed mine to be very sensitive to salinity changes too. When my ATO went wacky on me my leathers looked like that.