Lymphocystis

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
Luis C
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Lymphocystis

Post by Luis C » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:33 pm

I just thought I would bring this up because my Naso Tang had it for a while and Gerwin told me about the disease and I was eventually able to help my Tang overcome it. Lymphocystis looks like cauliflower and is usually on the fins of a fish. It is not a life threatening disease and there are only a couple of cures for it. One is to improve the aquarium water quality and the other is to feed the fish a higher quality food. Some aquarists have actually scrapped the lymphocystis off of their fish and this in essence "wakes up" the fish's immune system. If your fish experience this disease, don't panic. Check you water quality and feed a high quality food. For Tangs in particular, stay away from lettuce. Blanched spinach or seaweed would be much better. I bought some Nori seaweed at a local market and at first my Tang wouldn't touch the stuff. Now he eats it like it's going out of style. With a little patience, you too can help your fish overcome this disease. Anyone else have experience with this? :?:

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:36 pm

yes, we see it fairly regular, although not so much on tangs as much as Angel fish. Commonly the hobbyist thinks his fish have ick. The difference as Lois mentioned is the size, look and most of all almost always appears on the edges of the fishes fins. His cure is pretty much on the money. I have seen cleaner shrimp work them over. Vit. C additives some claim will help, but good nutritiona nd good water quality cure and prevent.