Ich..... Gerwin?

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Ich..... Gerwin?

Post by ReneM » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 am

Gerwin we have had a mess this weekend with ich... apparently I had it in my tank and didn't know it. I watch my fish pretty closely, and am always paying attention. But still new at this (though I have had FW for years - never had an ich problem there). From what I'm reading you can have it and your fish be resistant - and therefore show no real signs - until you place new fish in who don't have the resistance - then they get whammied. I just lost the hippo tang and the pajama cardinal that I bought from you last week and I'm just sick over it.

Anyways, I need to treat these guys and will be coming in this afternoon. The good stuff I read about is bad for inverts... do you have something that you trust that won't hurt those guys while using it?

Thanks...

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: Ich..... Gerwin?

Post by Gerwin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:53 am

wow,
talk about a explosion of ich around all of a sudden :wtf:
I have stuff that is invert safe but it will not be as good as the strong stuff of course.
UV sterilizer is the best preventative, not cheap but they work and will save money in the long run...IMO

A NOTE To ALL Readers:

I cannot over emphasize to people to acclimate tangs long and SLOWLY, as they are just so prone to Ich on introduction.
Also knowing how they are , folks need to be sure their tank is rock solid, no issues and established.

ALSO we are entering the time of shifting temps in our houses, EVERYONE, WE HAVE GOT TO MAKE SURE YOUR TANK HEATERS ARE SET CORRECTLY and FUNCTIONING, Temp. fluctuations are one of the biggest catalyst to break out, this is the whole reason we float fish as to attempt to make the transition from one temp to another gradual, but it is still stressful to some extent.

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:27 am

OK I'll be by sometime this afternoon...

I did slow drip her, for nearly three hours... and I did not know about long established tank. I wish I had :( I did not have any real issues that I was aware of though. You can barely see anything on only one of my fish (that I have had for months). I was just not educated enough yet :(

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 pm

+1 for the sterilizer!

I can't say enough for how much money and headache this will save :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:31 pm

UV Sterilizers are a must especially with tangs. I have 5 tangs in my reef tank and so far they are doing great.

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Thank you so very much for all the help and advice today Gerwin!!!!

I've moved out the inverts - boy was my shrimp ticked off at me!!! lol.... I put in the medication and am now bringing salt down. So far no one seems any worse for the wear - well except for the shrimp drama lol!

Question.... the snails won't climb out of the bucket will they? Already found one a little above the water line... ?

Thank you again! You are SOOOOO awesome!

Re sterilizer.... that is next on my list. Definitely impressed with these!

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:57 pm

Can't stress enough to not forget to get back to the basics. Water parameters, temp or ph swings, or other stress inducers make disease treatment/prevention almost impossible. Feed a variety of good quality foods soaked with garlic or selcon type supplements. Also keep up your regular water changes and fresh carbon.

I would also encourage you to do research on the uv before investing, and I don't mean what the manufacturers say about them. They were designed to kill algae spores in ponds originally. They do help clean and clarify your water and also lower redox which gives you and overall healthier tank and fish. :D But you also get this with good maintenance practices. Typically small, hobby uv units do not have the wattage to kill free-swimming ich parasites.

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:11 am

need to clarify this for everyone. uv radiation dose not kill parasites, pathogens, or algae for that matter. uv radiation is a "sterilizer", that is it prevents lifeforms from reproducing.
no reproduction in lifeforms is inevitable to its extinction.

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Archie wrote:need to clarify this for everyone. uv radiation dose not kill parasites, pathogens, or algae for that matter. uv radiation is a "sterilizer", that is it prevents lifeforms from reproducing.
So I need to stop sitting here with this one on my lap?

Shelly
Swordtail Member

Post by Shelly » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:14 pm

phisher wrote:
Archie wrote:need to clarify this for everyone. uv radiation dose not kill parasites, pathogens, or algae for that matter. uv radiation is a "sterilizer", that is it prevents lifeforms from reproducing.

Wouldn't that depend on what wattage your running???

(a new one for the DIY section?)

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:24 pm

phisher wrote:

you should be ok as the housing is a uv filter. just as long you do not :lol: ...well you know what i mean

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:45 pm

Archie wrote:
phisher wrote:

you should be ok as the housing is a uv filter. just as long you do not :lol: ...well you know what i mean
There might be something to this,,,,, I know a few folks that need to strap one of these on and wear it 24/7 :mrgreen: :lol:

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Sandy wrote:There might be something to this,,,,, I know a few folks that need to strap one of these on and wear it 24/7 :mrgreen: :lol:
you are bad :mrgreen: :wtf:

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:17 am

You people are nuts!!! How we went from ich... to DIY vasectomies I have no idea! LOLOLOL

Btw fish seem to be hanging in there, inverts I can't see... must be way under the rock in the bucket. I hope...

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Well.... it was after dark,,,,,and kinda late...... :wtf:
Wait,,,was there a full moon?? :lol: :lol:

Glad to hear that your fish are still hanging in there. Hope all continues to go well!