Ich..... Gerwin?

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
ReneM
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Ich..... Gerwin?

Post by ReneM » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 pm

Thank you :)

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Gerwin wrote:wow,
talk about a explosion of ich around all of a sudden :wtf:
I have stuff that is invert safe but it will not be as good as the strong stuff of course.
UV sterilizer is the best preventative, not cheap but they work and will save money in the long run...IMO

A NOTE To ALL Readers:

I cannot over emphasize to people to acclimate tangs long and SLOWLY, as they are just so prone to Ich on introduction.
Also knowing how they are , folks need to be sure their tank is rock solid, no issues and established.

ALSO we are entering the time of shifting temps in our houses, EVERYONE, WE HAVE GOT TO MAKE SURE YOUR TANK HEATERS ARE SET CORRECTLY and FUNCTIONING, Temp. fluctuations are one of the biggest catalyst to break out, this is the whole reason we float fish as to attempt to make the transition from one temp to another gradual, but it is still stressful to some extent.
Well, mine didn't die from Ich. Can they die just because they are dumb??? I won't say what I really called it, but it hid all the time. :silent: It was pretty though. :cry:

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:53 pm

That week and a half with a healthy hippo gave me a ton to talk about. She was juuuussttt like Dori :) She was silly as hell!

On a bad note... today was the second treatment for the ich... and one of my clowns looks bad. Sigh.... he'll be here in the morning, or not, I guess. :(

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:14 am

Yup... lost him last night :( The two last fish I have though look really good.

Any thoughts out there on why he might have gotten worse after treatment #2? Shouldn't it have been the opposite? (and by worse I mean that the ich was 30% more visible to me)

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Sometimes the damage done has rendered the fish beyond help. Chemotherapy is hard on the fish and the tough ones will make it through but it sometimes can push the weak over the edge

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:02 am

:( ok... thank you :)

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Ok tomorrow it's time to do a water change (following the ich treatment) and bring my inverts back to the tank. I was given the ich medicine, so I don't have the instructions :(

How much water should I change out? 25%? 50%?

Thank you!

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:20 pm

25% and fresh croon for 24 hrs before you ad inverts bcd ns even then i recommend you put a snail or such in first to make sure it's all good

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:15 pm

Fresh what? and what is bcd ns?

Thank you Gerwin :)

sparky
Minnow Member

Post by sparky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 pm

i need a fish doctor?

sparky
Minnow Member

Post by sparky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 pm

i came home from a weekend trip to find both blue and yellow tang with ICH, my levels are good but i did a water change last week and i added a lil too much salt i was at about .021 now im reading a hair above .023, would this cause ich, also temp is a question i noticed today when investigating that if i turn my heater up it wont kick on till it hits 84 degrees, this being after 6 hours of my lights being on. i keep it set at 80 which means my temp at night when the lights are off goes down to 80. so do i turn the lights down to less hours or turn my heater up, do i need fans on my lights? i only have 4 T5s but going to install 4 more later this month?

phisher
Discus Member

Post by phisher » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:54 pm

4 degrees sounds like a lot of temperature swing to be running just 4 T5s. What size is your tank? And what are you using to check your temperature?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Gerwin wrote:25% and fresh croon for 24 hrs before you ad inverts bcd ns even then i recommend you put a snail or such in first to make sure it's all good
croon=carbon
bcd ns=back in,

come on Rene, don't you know the Aquarium lingo? :lol: :lol: so what I learned is don't try and watch Ninja Assassin and type at the same time :shh:

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:32 pm

phisher wrote:4 degrees sounds like a lot of temperature swing to be running just 4 T5s. What size is your tank? And what are you using to check your temperature?
we found out today at the shop he was missing a important component to the temperature game :shh: .....a thermometer , but its all good now! :thumbup:

ReneM
Discus Member

Post by ReneM » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:04 am

Gerwin wrote:
Gerwin wrote:25% and fresh croon for 24 hrs before you ad inverts bcd ns even then i recommend you put a snail or such in first to make sure it's all good
croon=carbon
bcd ns=back in,

come on Rene, don't you know the Aquarium lingo? :lol: :lol: so what I learned is don't try and watch Ninja Assassin and type at the same time :shh:

LOLOL! I did wonder at first if I was missing some terminology somewhere lol... I did end up figuring it out for the most part.
Thanks Gerwin!

Now.. which poor snail to sacrifice lol....