Monitoring

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
Corey M
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Monitoring

Post by Corey M » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:24 pm

I now have everything running with my first saltwater tank but want to nip problems in the bud. I've seen what someone said was ick with some foggy patches on a fishes fins but what should I be on the lookout for in general as well as the "fixes." For example, ick looks like ?? and treat it with ??, to much algae growth is when ?? and "treat" it this way, sick fish act ?? this way and make sure you think about ?? before they get sicker.

Thanks,
Corey M

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Monitoring

Post by Gerwin » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:40 am

Corey M wrote:I now have everything running with my first saltwater tank but want to nip problems in the bud. I've seen what someone said was ick with some foggy patches on a fishes fins but what should I be on the lookout for in general as well as the "fixes." For example, ick looks like ?? and treat it with ??, to much algae growth is when ?? and "treat" it this way, sick fish act ?? this way and make sure you think about ?? before they get sicker.

Thanks,
Corey M
Imagine taking a salt shaker and sprinkle a lil on your fish, that Ick, now some cloudiness may occur from secondary infections as well but the small whit specks are you main sign.

Treatment depends on you r system ie: type of fish, reef or not, quarantine or not.

Bottm line: look at your fish everyday observe their actions (how the swim, hold their fins, how aggressive they eat, their color) and if you see something strange investigate further for what is different and then call me.

TO much algae? well as micro algae is more a sign of excessive lighting or nutrient load or both , I might say any alage is to much. In a fish only tank, how much can you stand to look at may be the better answer as it does little harm to your fish, matter afact it will help keep Nitrates down, of couorse your nitrates being elevated is one reason you may have the issue anyways.