What's Going on Here???

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
The Langs
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: New 29 gal Saltwater Tank set up on Dec. 30 2010. Items in tank; 23 lbs of live rock, a pair of clown fish, one purple striped basslet, one Blue Damsel, one purple lobster, and one coral banded shrimp.

What's Going on Here???

Post by The Langs » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 pm

I just noticed today that my blue tang has small white spots all over him. :shock: A few on his fins but mostly on his body. Is this ich or lymphocystis that I have read about on some other posts. How do I tell the difference? What do I need to do? If it is Ich should I perform the freshwater shock trreatment on him or rush to the store and buy some meds? :problem:

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Re: What's Going on Here???

Post by Doug » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Ich looks more like grains of salt all over the body, starting on the fins. Lymphocystis is white nodules that are typically on the edges of fins first, on the body later, if left to progress. Blue tangs (as opposed to powder blues) are notorious for ich outbreaks. Whether fresh water dips are sufficient, or medication is indicated remains a matter of experience.

MPowell
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by MPowell » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:07 am

Get some garlic pellets/seaweed. If you don't have a uv sterilizer I'd pick one up asap. It's not an instant cure but I have 7 tangs in my tank now but wouldn't put one in before I had my sterilizer hooked up.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:08 am

The Langs wrote:I just noticed today that my blue tang has small white spots all over him. :shock: A few on his fins but mostly on his body. Is this ich or lymphocystis that I have read about on some other posts. How do I tell the difference? What do I need to do? If it is Ich should I perform the freshwater shock trreatment on him or rush to the store and buy some meds? :problem:
sounds like ich, doug was correct on his description between the two.
Rush to store and get meds, time is not your friend here. I do not like nor recommend the FW dip, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
What you can do is:
reduce salinity to approx 1.016-17, explore the UV option (there are great articles somewhere in this site about them), explore a quarantine tank as you have inverts to consider. DO NOT raise Temp until you have meds in place. or just come talk to me asap

The Langs
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: New 29 gal Saltwater Tank set up on Dec. 30 2010. Items in tank; 23 lbs of live rock, a pair of clown fish, one purple striped basslet, one Blue Damsel, one purple lobster, and one coral banded shrimp.

Post by The Langs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 am

I am taking off of work early like around noon. I will come to the store ASAP. Around 1:30 probably. THANKS

guitarest
Discus Member

Post by guitarest » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:40 pm

so what happened?

The Langs
Swordtail Member

Post by The Langs » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 pm

The tang died. didn't get him treated fast enough... :shock: :cry: