Quarantine Process

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
The Langs
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: New 29 gal Saltwater Tank set up on Dec. 30 2010. Items in tank; 23 lbs of live rock, a pair of clown fish, one purple striped basslet, one Blue Damsel, one purple lobster, and one coral banded shrimp.

Quarantine Process

Post by The Langs » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 pm

Well found out yesterday that my blue tang has ICH. So I visited Gerwin for advise being I'm new to this. So I have been doing everything he told me. I set up a 10 gal tank and filled it with water from my 30gal, put about half of my live rock and all my inverts in it. Replaced the 10gal with some RO water at a much lower specific gravity to put the 30gal around 16-18 like he told me and turned the heater up a notch. So I checked today and my specific gravity is at 19 and the temp has been between 80-82. I added the meds last night as well. Hope everything goes as planned and man I hope this isn't something that happens often because this is some work. :eh:
Thanks fore the help Gerwin!
So I managed to get the day off Saturday and I may come by the store to see if you have a decsent light for my 10gal that I had to transfer my inverts, zooanthids, and green star polyps into. Because I had a regular little light that cam with the tank and the soft corals were struggling immediately. I had to take the light off the 30gal and sit on top of the 10 with a lid on it.
If I decide to get a larger tank Does you or your son do contract tank maintenance for people. It may be worth it to me to hire someone to do all this. :lol:

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Quarantine Process

Post by Gerwin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:00 am

we do it and have it all!
see ya Saturday

goalk33p3r
Discus Member

Post by goalk33p3r » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:14 pm

I think you def should invest in a uv sterilizer especially if you have tags they get ich so fast its not funny I. Got one and its one of the best investments I made healthy tank and clear water what could be better

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 am

goalk33p3r wrote:I think you def should invest in a uv sterilizer especially if you have tags they get ich so fast its not funny I. Got one and its one of the best investments I made healthy tank and clear water what could be better
:thumbup:

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 am

I've got an 18 watt turbotwist coralife that works great and has a brand new crystal I'll sell you...bought it from Gerwin a while back and loved it while using it.

Even if you don't buy mine....please get you a UV, it'll be the best money you spend!

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:41 pm

Hey man pm me a price for it

The Langs
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: New 29 gal Saltwater Tank set up on Dec. 30 2010. Items in tank; 23 lbs of live rock, a pair of clown fish, one purple striped basslet, one Blue Damsel, one purple lobster, and one coral banded shrimp.

Post by The Langs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:54 pm

How much u want for it? I looked at a new one Saturday that Gerwin had. Not sure what watt it was but it said for a 50 gal.

Lancelot22
Minnow Member

Post by Lancelot22 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:57 am

There are almost as many different quarantine processes as there are aquarists in the hobby for more than 10 years. About the only thing there are more of are uninformed hobbyists who claim a quarantine is bad for fish, or who don't want to spend the time, or inaccurately claim not all fish can or should be quarantined, or who don't want to spend the $40. for a quarantine kit, or who don't believe it is necessary, or who believe that a healthy fish can survive any disease or parasite.

We, the Old Guard, for the most part know better. I wrote . . .more than 10 years because if you've been in the hobby that long, you've come to realize that performing a quarantine process is essential to good marine husbandry. The smarter aquarists know this from the outset and began using a quarantine process from the first day in the hobby! :thumbs:

What good is a quarantine process? There's a whole list that a quarantine process will:
1) Further acclimate the fish to captive life without being bothered by other fishes;
2) Get the fish to eat without it 'running away' and hiding;
3) Get the fish on the right foods and nutrients;
4) Allow the fish to eat without competition;
5) Give the fish a chance to recognize and become acclimated to the aquarist;
6) Give the fish a chance to heal any capture or travel injury or trauma;
7) Give the fish a chance to recover from any condition or disease;
8) Prepare the fish for a more competitive life in the community/reef tank; and
9) Protect the health of the display tank livestock.