My thought on Quarantine tanks

Aquarium Diseases & Medication Discussion
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

My thought on Quarantine tanks

Post by Gerwin » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:23 am

are vast and fluid, I believe there is a purpose for quarantine tanks, I am just not sure everyone understands that these are not just a glass box with water you hastily set up and dump your new fish or sick fish into.

I have untold numbers of customers who probably killed their fish because they heard or read about the "Quarantine tank"

Everyone needs to realize that a Q tank needs to be every bit as established and cycled out as their main aquarium. That means active biofilter, heater, water parameters acceptable for the specimens being placed into it and a tank suitable in size for said specimens! If you do not do these things then be prepared for daily water changes and / or what ever else is needed to maintain water quality in the Q tank.
It makes me shutter when the conversation goes like this,
customer :"Hi, you have a nice store...I have a new aquarium, about a month old and I bought a sick fish",

Ger: "wow thats tough, are you sure it was sick upon purchase and did not become sick in the tank? have you checked all your water parameters? and if so what are they?, oh btw what size tank and what do you have in it fish wise?"

customer: " oh yeah I had my water checked at the brand x store, they said it was good, so I bought a yellow tang, mandarin goby, a Dorie and a Nemo with anemone, and of course I have 3 damsels, and this cool stingray! I hope he don't die my kids love him"

Ger: "what size tank was this?'

customer: " oh 29 gallons, but the store also sold me a quarantine tank so I got all my fish in there right now, because I cannot use medicine with my anemone I got for Nemo"

................[Ger.......to himself...this poor guys is F'd......]

Ger:" hmm.... so what size is this quarantine tank?

Customer: "10 g..."

Ger: "Stop I need not hear anymore, I guess you just went home and set the tank up with new water and moved your fish over?"

customer: " Damn you are good! a friend told me you were good"

Ger: " well I do not know how good I am, but I'm about to educate you....."

this is so familiar a story its funny but sad.

So I write this morning to try and make those fortunate enough to find this speck on the world wide web understand the basics for the quarantine tank.
and upon a forum for it to be discussed