Why won't my goldfish breed?

Ponds: Goldfish & Koi, Plants, Construction, Aquascaping, & Filtration Discussion
Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Why won't my goldfish breed?

Post by Sandy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Okay, so I have been FEEDING my fish like Gerwin said I should :lol: . I did feed them once in a while but I guess I just figured they were doing fine with all the algae and bug critters that just naturally occured in my pond. It is not a big pond, probably only about 50 to 60 gallons. I only have 6 regular plain jane gold fish, have had the same ones for about 3 years now. They range in size from 3 to 4 inches long. What are the chances they are all the same sex and do I need plants or rocks? Any ideas?

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Re: Why won't my goldfish breed?

Post by Doug » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Not enough room. Those same comets in a large pond should be 2-3 times that size after 3 years. A pond I saw the other day had comets succesfully breeding in it, but it was about 12' x 25' by 4' deep.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:33 pm

OOOOOo that would be nice in my world!!!! My husband just doesn't see my world the same way I see it. :shock: :lol: If I had may way, I would have a moat full of fish surrounding my house! Oh well :roll:

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 pm

my mom has a small pond maybe 70 gallons and she has her Shubunkins breed every year. the Adults are about 6-8 inches.
She feed hers everyday. Feed and they grow, that being said I do not feed mine at all in a 1200 gal pond and I have young as well and the parents are no larger then hers, maybe even smaller.
I do not recall telling you not to feed so much as feeding is not needed as there are other things occurring in the pond dynamic that can sustain fish in the outdoor pond, people tend to Overfeed leading to algae blooms etc so I always lean to the not so much on the food.
I have observed that those who do feed have much larger fish and much more breeding!

Plants and rocks.....you mean you do not have those? wow a desert pond! now that is a interesting twist from the lush tropical paradise we normally try and create :lol: no wonder you have no babies....the fish have no behind the plant time :oops: I have plenty plants let me know in advance when you are coming up to store and I will bring you a bucket of bedroom door plants for you goldfish....

Sandy
Discus Member

Post by Sandy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:15 pm

Ok, heads up, I am coming to the store on Thursday. Will the plants survive the cold temps? I guess a rock or two might help also, huh? I don't overfeed them. They are lucky if I remember to take a few pellets out when I start up the grill for dinner. I must confess, there for a while, I hardly ever fed them. Must not have been too bad though, cause I have had the same ones for three years. Oh and the feeding thing, when we were talking about them, you ask me if I was feeding them, I think my response was, I'm suppose to feed them? :lol:

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Don't get me wrong-- I know of a 80 gallon hex aquarium on the roof a warehouse that had black moors breeding like crazy in it (@American Pet, Gerwin). I also took in a pair of solid black FW angel fish on trade that spawned over night the first night I brought them home, and in a 20 gallon tank to boot. Nature has its ways, it just depends on right place, right time.