Adding Photos to Forum Posts

Forum Announcements, Terms of Service, Etc.
Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Adding Photos to Forum Posts

Post by Doug » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:33 pm

There are several ways you can share your aquarium photos with forum members:

1. Establish a free account with an online photo hosting site that allows linking from external sites. Link to your albums in a post. Photos of a reasonable size may also be placed "inline" in a post, which means the photo is displayed in the body of the post. See your photo hosting service's instructions for how to link to your photos there.

2. Your ISP may also provide you with an amount of webspace you can use to host your own photos, and then link to them.

3. Embedded slideshows. Many photo hosting sites provide links so you may place a slideshow of an entire album inline on a webpage or email. Since HTML is not allowed in forum posts, a special BBCODE will allow Google Picasa slideshows to be embedded.

Example using Picasa:

When in your Picasa album, click on the RSS button at lower right. Copy the part of the link that subsequently appears in your browser URL line, from your userid to the ? before alt=rss. Click on the Picasa button above the post editing window, and paste the copied text between the Picasa tags inserted into the post. In the case of this example, the copied and pasted text was fishystuff.net/albumid/5394363886907308849. The album must be set to "Public" for this to work.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Adding Photos to Forum Posts

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:38 pm

I think we should have thread specifically titled FishyStuff Members Aquarium Pictures here:

So we get all the pics in one area especially for those who want to show off their prize setups or specimens

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:08 pm

a practice pic addition using Doug's picasa, I found if you use this program you must make sure the button that states

Image only (no link) is checked. then copy it by right click and paste it on you post placing the [img]picture[img/] on either side image link

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Direct link to a Picasa album photo using [url] tags:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_GP_EVV2kZS4/St-8r ... yellow.jpg

Inline using Image

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:47 am

ANY photo hosting site that allows direct linking to its photos can be used in the above manner. But you must make sure the site allows for "guest" viewing, and doesn't require registration and login to view pics. Some sites provide special guest links that can be shared with anyone to view.

For slide shows, however, only Picasa is supported by the forum software at this time.

This is a test of a new BBCODE (almost working):
Yellow Discus

Yellow Discus

Red

Red

Mix

Mix

Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:53 pm

Your aquarium photos may also be featured on the main website page. From the FAQ:

Q: I Have Some Great Photos of My Aquarium. Can They Be Featured on the Website?

With a Google account using Picasa Web Albums, yes, subject to the following terms:

* Your Google account name will be shown as the owner of the photos, so no objectionable account names.
* You must supply us the code for the embedded slide show in the 288x192 medium size.
* There must be no photos in the album other than those of your fish, and aquarium or pond.
* You must be a registered member in-good-standing of our forums.

Your slideshow will remain on the main page for at least one week or more, as long as the embedded slideshow continues to function, and adheres to the terms listed above.