Clowns hosting a last

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
Bud
Angel Member
My SetUp: My set up:125 gl, Diablo Skimmer, 4 maxspect led, 125lbs + live rock, sand base, rose bubble tip anemone, mini carpet, 2 pair Perc and tomato clowns, yellow tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish, miss gobies and clean up crew. Corals: multiple leathers, acro's, mushrooms, donut, plate, etc... and growing

Clowns hosting a last

Post by Bud » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:44 pm

I've had a couple Ocellaris (sp) and a large red long tentacle anemone for about 6 months with absolutely no interaction. They both stay on the complete opposite side of my 125 gallon tank. Knowing the risk (and ignoring it), I brought home two new tomato clowns. Introduced them yesterday with no issues with the other clowns, but no initial interest in the anemone. As I watched lousy football this afternoon I noticed they were closely investigating the anemone, and then they were in. Since then, one has been in it every since: they seem to take turns.

Very cool. :-) I'll work on pictures later.

Bud

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Clowns hosting a last

Post by bluwtr » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Congrats! I've got two perculas that have hosted the corner of my tank since I got them :roll: , but they breed all of the time. I've got a medium size leather that the male will jump into for a moment, wiggle, then move out. Post some pics if you can.

Bud
Angel Member
My SetUp: My set up:125 gl, Diablo Skimmer, 4 maxspect led, 125lbs + live rock, sand base, rose bubble tip anemone, mini carpet, 2 pair Perc and tomato clowns, yellow tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish, miss gobies and clean up crew. Corals: multiple leathers, acro's, mushrooms, donut, plate, etc... and growing

Post by Bud » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks. I get home today and the anemone was all closed up. I guess it is feeling a little beat up, the clown is not giving him any room to think about it. Hopefully he'll get used to it soon.

Bud

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:00 pm

My recollection, my first saltwater tank being set up roughly 34 years ago, was that percula/ocellaris preferred carpet and
ritteri anemone.

Bud
Angel Member

Post by Bud » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 pm

I had a large sadle carpet anemone in the tank for six months and they avoided it like the plague. It just got too big and was eating too many of my fish (18 inches across) so i had to get I'd of him. I hope this long tentacle is just in temporary shock and they will get used to each other. Time will tell.

brianjoy81
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by brianjoy81 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:43 am

My clown fish have hosted my 19 headed frogspawn. They lay eggs on the branches all the time but the male eats all the eggs just as fast as she can lay them. Is that normal?