Fluke tabs to kill of GSP and blue cloves

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
bct15
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Fluke tabs to kill of GSP and blue cloves

Post by bct15 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:19 pm

Here is the final consensus as of friday

So the tank started to look stressed, acros started losing color so I decided to run some carbon, gfo, and do water changes over the weekend. The GSP is in really bad shape and is whithering away. I'd say it is about 60% gone, but does not look like it will be back. When I added the fluke tabs to the display, I poured the dissolved half tablet directly into the GSP. The blue clove polyps looked a little stressed bet have recovered since the water changes, and the blue daisy polyps are bouncing back as well. It was clear that the tabs will work, but I must have ran to small of a dose as the only area in the tank truely dieing is right where i poured the tablet in. I also did not fully dissolve the table before adding it, and ran the skimmer the entire time.

I lost three small acro frags, each of which had some sort of damage or recession before starting. A day after adding the fluke tabs, all of my acros had incredible boosted color but the color started to fade on about half the colonies by the time i stopped.

I am going to wait about two weeks and then try a tablet and a half for three days without skimming or carbon, then start skimming and add carbon and water changes after five days. The reccomended dose is a tablet for every hundred gallons and I went way under that to see how the tank reacted. I feel the GSP must have absorbed the majority of the tablet, that is why it went first. Most reports online claim GSP goes last, and blue cloves first...but I had ALOT of GSP.

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:26 pm

Started round two last night, added a whole tab dissolved in some heated RO water straight to the sump and turned carbon and skimmer off. I don't know why it is, but all of my acros have extra pop this morning...so they like something in these tabs. Going to run skimmer-less for at least 48 hours and carbon off till Saturday or Sunday.

A side note, my reef raft avengers has been looking terrible since I got it. Barely any color, and a grey area that was spreading from the base up to the branches and absolutely no growth. Since my first treatment of fluke tabs, the grey area turned brown and now is turning the yellowish color the acro is supposed to be and I see growth in a weeks time. Not sure, but I think the fluke tabs might have killed some unknown acro pest or bacteria that was bothering this acro. I had tried two Bayer dips on it with no luck at all. I wish I could get my hands on a bunch of these because I would treat my system once every 2-3 months with them based on what I am seeing, but I would only recommend that on a primarily stony coral tank. I did also notice an electrical issue with my t5s around the same time I started treating, that I corrected that may have been the problem as well...but I have a feeling it is the fluke tabs.

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:35 am

For anybody who is following this, the second round worked in 24 hours. By the end of the day, all blue cloves and daisy polyp's were shriveled or closed. The stringy matt they were on is still there, but they are dead. I'll post pics later, but here is one before and after.

I did move some of my GSP from this tank to my sons biocube, so i still have some. Some of my acros are totally browned out now, I'm guessing from the increase in nutrients from the die off. I think I lost my pink feather duster. Also, my red green and blue sympodium actually looks better after the treatment...thought the fluke tabs would kill it as well, but it made it healthier.

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:14 pm

And lastly, if somebody needs some fluke tabs message me...

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Dosn't even look like the same tank. Congrats :)