Fluke tabs to kill of GSP and blue cloves

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
bct15
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Fluke tabs to kill of GSP and blue cloves

Post by bct15 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:55 pm

I have a bad infestation of green star polyps and blue cloves. I am trying the fluke tab treatment to get it out of my tank. I added about a quarter tab to my tank and I have three rocks soaking in a bucket with a whole fluke tab dissolved in it. I will add these to my sump after an hour of soaking. I will let you all know how it works out, and what all does.

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Re: Fluke tabs to kill of GSP and blue cloves

Post by eric the red » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:31 am

When u say blue cloves. Do You mean the blue sympodium tht Gerwin has in his tank?

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:45 pm

Some people might call it sympodium, but it's not sympodium. I have a blue base, green And red polyp's sympodium that I removed. Fluke tabs will kill GSP, cloves, Anthelia, encrusting gorgonia, daisy polyp's, and all those sorts of corals.

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Post by eric the red » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:07 pm

Do u have a picture of the cloves?

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:01 pm

This them,

eric the red
Discus Member

Post by eric the red » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Oh I think that's different than what Gerwin has

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:58 pm

It's been 30 hours and I haven't noticed anything, can't even tell I added anything to the tank.

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:11 pm

Eric, I think what you are asking about is the little blue things growing between these acros. I call these blue daisy polyps, they are not as bad as the BR cloves but can be invasive also. Fluke tabs kill them too.

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/e4yze3uh.jpg[/img]

And this is my sympodium, I moved majority of this to my sons biocube.

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/04/ate4u6yq.jpg[/img]

eric the red
Discus Member

Post by eric the red » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:48 am

Oh okay yeah. I have the blue daisies in my tank.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm

Any updates for us :)

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Here is what I have observed as of today.

My GSP is not opening and has some recession in some places.

The blue clove polyps seem to be thinner but are opening like normal.

The blue daisy polyp's seem to be extremely stressed.

My snails, hermit, crabs and pink feather duster all seem to be uneffected.

I have a colony of protopalys that is melting, and one acro frag died. The acro drag that died has been in bad shape for a while so might be unrelated.

Some of my acros have even better color and polyp extension than before I added the fluke tabs, they seem to love the stuff. Everything else seems to not notice. No signs if even noticed the fluke tabs from any of lps, including my pectinas, elegance, welso, acans, torch, and frogspawn.

I'll post some pics later or tomorrow

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:05 pm

Nitrates are at 20ppm,

Here is some pics

Some people might recognize this area of my tank

Here is the area with blue daisy polyps, not sure how well you can see but they are pretty much gone

And the blue clove polyp's still kicking it as of now

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:29 pm

This morning the GSP is starting to disintegrate and the blue cloves are really stressed looking. Will be turning carbon back on tomorrow. It is definitely working, just took a little longer than expected. Pink feather duster still looks good, and so does tr little bit of my green and red sympodium I left in. No stress on snails or hermits, fish all look good. Color is really good on a couple acros and a little dull on other, I suspect that is from the elevated nitrates.

Nitrates are still around 20ppm,
No Nitrites or ammonia.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Just wondering, any idea whats in the Fluke tabs that is doing the damage to them?

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 pm

Nobody really knows, it is a side effect people noticed when dipping acros in fluke tab water to treat for aefw... When they put the acros back in the display, people noticed blue clove polyp's dieing off. I had some die off in my tank after a frag order, and asked the people I bought from and they said they dip their coral in fluke tabs. So I decided to do a full treatment. The hardest part is finding the fluke tabs...next to impossible.

It is kind of like how kent tech m kills briopsis...nobody really knows how or why but it does.

My alk crept up to 8.8 over the last fee days, but calcium and mag are holding steady.