Been long time, questions about Rock Crabs

Saltwater Fish & Invertebrates Discussion
guitarest
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Been long time, questions about Rock Crabs

Post by guitarest » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Ok so life moves on, since I ladt posted here I fell victim to Vibrio the flesh eating bacteria. My left leg haspaid one hell of a cost, but Iam so blessed. The leg is still attached and I am still alive. On to the questions.

I have several smaller rock crabs thathave been in the 100 gal tank for almost a year. With this cool snap my tanks are cooler by a dew degrees; not much. All three crabs act as if hibernation has set in. Shrimp are still kicking, so are the fish. They still move but very slow. These guys we're caught in the Pass Harbor.

Any ideas?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Re: Been long time, questions about Rock Crabs

Post by Gerwin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Holy crap! weird hearing that from someone you know....seems so far away when you hear about it on news.

What is the temp in tank?

guitarest
Discus Member

Re: Been long time, questions about Rock Crabs

Post by guitarest » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:47 am

Hey Gerwin, the crab actually died a few days later, but others are in the tank and doing quite well so unsure what it was. I still love my tabks; I have four with 3 being brackish natural tanks and upgraded to small led lights that actually run through the entire rainbow of colors; too cool. In the 100 gal I have a huge toadfish; who I found laying on a concrete slab in Long Beach Harbor who I thought was dead; picked him up and while covered in slime he was alive. So I went to the waters edge; cleaned him off and rushed water over his gills for about ten minutes; dropped him into a five gallon bucket and brought him home. That was almost 2 years ago, I also have a bullhead croaker and a few pinfish in the tank. My 55's have mullets and minnows and blue crabs. I have a 40gal tall fresh tank with minnows I caught in my front yard after huge storms in the ditch out front of my home (I also purchased a house in Long Beach) and I have at least 3 different types of crawfish that live in my yard and build those damn mounds in the spring. I have around 4 crawfish in the tank, many minnows all live bearers and actually caught a small bluegill in a ditch after a rain down the road from my home; who loves the tank.

As for the question about Vibrio, this is my FB Page about not only my story but others who have either posted their stories or sent photo's. If ya got a uneasy stomach; I would warn not to look at some of the photo's (including mine of my leg) its not pretty; but I survived and I have made it my mission to try to educate those who are like I used to be and had no idea what Vibrio was.

http://www.facebook.com/Vibrioinmississippi/