Painted Rock!?!?

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
jegoss
Guppy Member
My SetUp: 55 gallon........ Just setting up.

Painted Rock!?!?

Post by jegoss » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 am

Today a coworker gave me some rock for my new saltwater set up. When I got home and pulled it out of the box it looks like it was painted purple! It's a lot of rock but I want my tank to look good not fake. Is it a total waste? Can I peal the paint off and use the rock? Or should I just trash it?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1115972120 ... twaterTank

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Re: Painted Rock!?!?

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 am

Never put anything in the tank you are not absoultely sure of

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:56 pm

its look alive rock from Caribsea, and its fine for the tank. It will not hurt anything although it does not look very real. In time it will become encrusted with coraline algae and others.

FishVet
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon natural planted freshwater-extreme low-tech, small school of Black Phantom Tetra, (1) Anostomus

120 gallon reef-work in progress! Nothing alive in there yet...

Post by FishVet » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Gerwin, you are of course the expert...

And I haven't actually seen the rock, only looked at the pictures...but it looks exactly like my real rock with coralline growth.

If that looks fake, my whole tank looks fake :(

Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:48 pm

FishVet wrote:Gerwin, you are of course the expert...

And I haven't actually seen the rock, only looked at the pictures...but it looks exactly like my real rock with coralline growth.

If that looks fake, my whole tank looks fake :(
They only use one shade of purple (though it looks as though this rock has been in a tank for a while and has some real coralline on it as well). If you were to look at your tank and that side by side you would quickly see the difference. Real coralline usually grows in a few shades of red, pink and purple. This rock looks better than white rock IMHO until the coralline growth takes over. I used a form of this rock and love it. It gives some color to the shaded areas as well.