Salt mix

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
iamthepuzzleman
Minnow Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Salt mix

Post by iamthepuzzleman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:30 pm

So I'm mixing my salt and RO water and I am getting a high reading. as far as I understand the numbers will come down when the sald desolves. My question is how long does it take to get an accurate reading?

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Salt mix

Post by bluwtr » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 pm

What brand are you using, what are you measuring with and what exactly does it say?

iamthepuzzleman
Minnow Member

Post by iamthepuzzleman » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:44 pm

I'm using Instant Ocean. says 1/2 cup per gallon for .022. I'm using 2 cups for 5 gal. and its still showing at .030, All the salt seems desolved, so I'm just wondering how much time it actually takes to get a good reading on my Vertex refractometer.

bcarleton
Angel Member

Post by bcarleton » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:41 am

Most salts will be fuly dissolved in about 6-8 hrs. Also depends on how much water flow you have in the container. Using a powerhead to keep the water stirring will speed up the process greatly. If you measure 2 hours apart and the numbers don't change then the water is pretty much where its gonna be. Temperature plays a small role too in how the water will read. Getting a .030 following the manuf. instruction is not that uncommon. Is this the first time using the refractor? Refract. may need to be adjusted if frsh out of box.

Bud
Angel Member
My SetUp: My set up:125 gl, Diablo Skimmer, 4 maxspect led, 125lbs + live rock, sand base, rose bubble tip anemone, mini carpet, 2 pair Perc and tomato clowns, yellow tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish, miss gobies and clean up crew. Corals: multiple leathers, acro's, mushrooms, donut, plate, etc... and growing

Post by Bud » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:10 am

My experience using instant ocean mixing in a 5 gallon bucket 1 3/4 cups wii get you to abou .024. I usually fill the bucket about 3 inches below the rim. Using a power head to mix, I get the good number in about 30 minutes. Good luck.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:47 am

Yes, be sure to calibrate the refrac using the solution that came with it. Most all of them highly recommend to NOT calibrate to 0.

Until just recently, I would mix my salt in 5 gallon buckets, stir the hell out of it with a paint stick, measure it, let it sit for a short time (1 hour max) and then remeasure. I would say 99% of the time my readings were almost identical. I know have a 39g Brute trash can so I'm running a heater and power-head just for convenience. I set the heater to match my tank temp--less stress that way.

I've heard/read people have had issues with IO salt making their mix water cloudy and it taking a long time to clear. Me personally, I've never had a bit of problems with it. I think it's the number 1 used salt for a reason.

Also, I too use IO and I've always mixed 1/2 cup per gallon and that got me very close to 1.025 or 35ppt. I usually skimped on the last 1/2 cup just to make sure I didn't go over. It's much easier to add salt than try and adjust it back down by adding more water.

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:18 am

As a side note if things do not look quite right have Gerwin check yours my pinpoint cal solution was off...........

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:53 am

As stated, get Gerwin to check the Refrac... I almost caused a tank wipe recently on my 210g from my Refrac being out of adjustment :shock:

iamthepuzzleman
Minnow Member

Post by iamthepuzzleman » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks for your help guys. It seems to be a mixed cause between not having a power head as well as the salt seems a little more potent than what the label suggests. I think I have it straight now.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:19 am

salinity salt takes about 24 hours but most of the others I sell are gonna be pretty well dissolved in 30 minutes under agitation

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:26 am

Gerwin wrote:salinity salt takes about 24 hours but most of the others I sell are gonna be pretty well dissolved in 30 minutes under agitation
Seachem actually suggests the exact opposite. SeaChem recommends that you don't let it mix long because it will begin to precipitate out as CO2 is mixed in. This is truly a salt you can mix and pour. The biggest thing to note is to make sure you pour in the salinity into the full container of RO/DI SLOWLY. It has a lot of calc/alk/mag and will easily precipitate out and crash. So you want to slowly mix the salt in letting each cup of salt fully dissolve before adding more. By doing this you will end up with a much much less cloudy mix and with much higher numbers for the big 3 (alk,calc,mag)

NEVER add the salt then pour the RO/DI on top of it. You will precipitate out. I have noticed major improvements since I started using this method with Salinity salt.

iamthepuzzleman
Minnow Member

Post by iamthepuzzleman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Image trying to figure out how to post videos

iamthepuzzleman
Minnow Member

Post by iamthepuzzleman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:33 pm

Scott Allen wrote:
Gerwin wrote:salinity salt takes about 24 hours but most of the others I sell are gonna be pretty well dissolved in 30 minutes under agitation
Seachem actually suggests the exact opposite. SeaChem recommends that you don't let it mix long because it will begin to precipitate out as CO2 is mixed in. This is truly a salt you can mix and pour. The biggest thing to note is to make sure you pour in the salinity into the full container of RO/DI SLOWLY. It has a lot of calc/alk/mag and will easily precipitate out and crash. So you want to slowly mix the salt in letting each cup of salt fully dissolve before adding more. By doing this you will end up with a much much less cloudy mix and with much higher numbers for the big 3 (alk,calc,mag)

NEVER add the salt then pour the RO/DI on top of it. You will precipitate out. I have noticed major improvements since I started using this method with Salinity salt.
I hear ya, but for me I let it sit and clear up with a power head or such and I like my results as well, previously it clouded. But I am all about doing what Seachem suggests (when in doubt) it is a good salt.

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:30 am

not exactly an answer to the question, but I use a digital weight scale and measure it by weight, it is perfectly accurate evertime, i never have to make an adjustment, It always comes out perfect when i weigh the salt instead of going buy cups. :-)