Frag plug...keep or toss?

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Frag plug...keep or toss?

Post by eric the red » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:23 pm

I want to start survey on how many of you guys keep your frag plugs in your tank or do you take it off the plug and glue it to some live rock?

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: Frag plug...keep or toss?

Post by Redfish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:22 pm

I tend to leave everything on the frag plug most of the time. Zoas and palys, I try and use some super glue gel on the plug, let the zoas spread off the plug and onto the live rock, if they start growing good I can pop the plug off and trade it for more zoas I don't have. Toadstools, Devil's Hand and those type's of corals, most of the time are fraged onto a piece of live rock rubble, I use some two part puddy to anchor them where I want in my tank. SPS corals, I read most people pop them off the plug and re glue them where they want in their tank, my limited experience LOL is: I like to not touch the coral no more than that have to, I leave it on the frag plug, especially if its encrusted pretty good. That being said, sometimes when trying to mount the plug, the coral pops off anyway, then I mount the coral to the live rock, keep the encrusted plug, and let it keep growing in hopes to trade it for another coral at some point.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Frag plug...keep or toss?

Post by bluwtr » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:38 pm

I hate frag plugs, especially the square ones, so anytime I can, I pop off the frag and glue it to a piece of LR rubble. I have some LR I removed from my tank and if I need a piece, I just bust a chunk off and glue the frag. To me it looks a hell of a lot more natural with the LR rubble vs. a stark white piece of ceramic.