Anemone loves my powerhead

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Anemone loves my powerhead

Post by eric the red » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm

I have a gbta that likes to hang out with my Koralia 2 powerhead. He has been sucked up into the guard twice. Fortunately it hasnt been seriously hurt yet. Now Im afraid to turn my powerhead on because i know it will happen again. Is there a way to stop this from happening?

TJW68
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Mixed reef 100 Gal with 30 long sump.(Reef octopus skimmer, Pharos LED's, Koralia power heads and SmartWave Wave Pump Timer, Reef Oct Return Pump, & a heater.
2nd tank is 36 gallon bow front LPS Reef(fluval 305, Reef Oct HOB 2000, 120 Watt PC)

Re: Anemone loves my powerhead

Post by TJW68 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:28 pm

I am glad I am not the only one. I had regular power heads and was able to put a piece of foam on it to prevent it from happening again. For the koralia you might be able to get a small media sock to place over the suction section to protect him from major damage, if you can't move it away, or to a higher spot he can't reach. Both mine got sucked up pretty bad to where I had to cut a section off of one, but they came back after awhile and look good now.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:24 am

Just remember that anemones will move to the spot that they are happiest--right amount of light and current. You could try to re-angle your PH's to change the currents and maybe move a piece of rock to make a spot higher. Good luck.

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Post by eric the red » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks. I changed the angle of my PH. It seems to be working for now. Although Im still in shell shock. I keep checking on it expecting to find it sucked up yet again.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Disclaimer first :lol: I don't know any of this as fact, its just been my experience when I had an anemone in my tank. If anyone disagree's they can chime in with their thoughts, it will be interesting reading though :lol: . I think with anemones its all about water condition, the cleaner the water the more the anemone likes it. The anemone I had when I put it in my tank, found a spot it liked and pretty much stayed there for a year and a half without moving an inch. I was doing about a 20% weekly water change, the down side was my zoas and polys didn't seem to like all that clean water, they hardly ever put out any babies. I found out that is I stretched out those water changes to once every two weeks the zoas started to respond with a few babies, I also found if I stretched those water changes to about every 2 1/2 weeks they liked that even :D better. The down side :( to these 2 1/2 week water changes, my anemone started walking around the tank, which it hadn't done the whole time it had been in the tank. I had to start moving zoa and coral frags around the tank to keep them out of the way of the moving anemone. The anemone ended up going thru my power head and getting chopped up, they always seem to end up going thru the power head, this happens to often to anemones to just be a fluke thing. All right here is the :lol: part I think the anemone feels the current coming from the power head and thinks (do anemones think :crazy: ) more current means more clean water, lets head over that way. The anemone could just walk around the live rock and that would be that, but they don't, they head to the power head every time.

eric the red
Discus Member

Post by eric the red » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:07 pm

My gbta died. :cry: He never really was the same after the run in with the powerhead.