Aiptasia Idea

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
Dominic
Minnow Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Aiptasia Idea

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:30 pm

Hope I spelled that right. Too lazy to google.

So the little buggers just shrink right in to the rock when you do anything to them. You can barely see just a little tiny nub on the rock's surface.

I was transplanting a small torch coral (it's already attached to a small rock) and I was using cyanoacrylate instead of putty because it's so small and cyanoacrylate is easier to work with. And I had an idea.

What if I chased the aiptasia down into the rock and put a dab of glue on top of it? That should kill the little bugger, right? :think: Is there a reason I SHOULDN'T do this?

Found my coral banded feasting on my peppermint shrimp yesterday :roll:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Aiptasia Idea

Post by bluwtr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Won't hurt a thing other than plugging holes with glue. Joe's Juice works wonderfully and if you approach them slowly you can squirt them pretty easily. Never thought of the glue idea, but you have to be careful not to suck water into the glue bottle or it will ruin the entire bottle.

I gave up on shrimp in my tank because my freaking six-line wrasse loves the taste--too damn expensive! :evil:

Dominic
Minnow Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Just avoiding medication/chemicals whenever possible. Leftover from my years-long obsession with Walstad/au naturale freshwater tanks.

I'm going to give it a shot. Joe's Juice if it becomes necessary.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:23 am

I have posted this before, I am pretty sure Scott or Wes gave me this idea, it works great, its cheap, doesn't hurt your tank and did I say it works. Go to Wal Mart, get some Mrs Wages Pickling Lime, put some in a bowl add just a tad bit of water and make a paste ball with it. Turn your power heads off and shove the paste ball onto the anemone and forget about it. You will never win the war, just attack them when you see them.