Any advice for a dead tang?

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
JWChatham
Minnow Member
My SetUp: 29G DT/5G Sump: ReefOcto Skimmer: 1 Clown, 1 Domino, 1 Yellow Tang: Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, Green&OrangeZoas: 28lb Live Rock

Any advice for a dead tang?

Post by JWChatham » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 pm

So, I have had a powder brown in my 29g for about 4 months. He has been happy with his tank mates from the beginning. (yellow tang, clown fish, domino damsel, cleanup crew etc. ) corals in tank are zoos and mushrooms. Recently one little colony of zoos started dissipating. A few polyps have survived and moved to low flow areas of the tank and have been trying to take root for the last week. Not sure if this is a clue or not. Also got a new skimmer about a week ago. Nitrates are down from 40 to 20. Phosphates are down from 2.15 to 1.5 in a week. So everything was getting better .... Or so I thought.

Tonight a noticed my powder brown tang dead on the bottom.
Under his body was a single zoa polyp not yet attached to the sand.
Any ideas what could have caused this death...??
Lower amount of algea in tank? Starvation? I fed brine shrimp on thursday, flakes on Friday, and seaweed on Saturday. Missed Sunday feeding.... Could the tang have starved?
I'm lost guys... Any insight... I'm fearing a crash or something.

29g DT
5g in sump
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Alk >200
SG 1.025

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Any advice for a dead tang?

Post by Gerwin » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:17 am

How do the other fish look? Did the tang have nice full look? The parameters of tank did not kill fish.
You may want to feed a couple times a day and change it up each time. And keep working on those phosphates on a side note

JWChatham
Minnow Member
My SetUp: 29G DT/5G Sump: ReefOcto Skimmer: 1 Clown, 1 Domino, 1 Yellow Tang: Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, Green&OrangeZoas: 28lb Live Rock

Post by JWChatham » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:45 pm

The tang was normal size... Not bloated or skinny. I did notice a small red line under its mouth... Like a vein... Or a better description would be like the red lines in a bloodshot eye...
I have also noticed that my coral band shrimp has been a little more aggressive lately, like chasing the yellow tang out of his corner.

Also there was a small oyster like blob next to the dead fish.. It was approx the size of a nickel around in the tank. Then I removed it when I took the tangs body out of the tank. Seemed like it deflated a bit when out of water, but not sure. Any idea what this could have been?

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 pm

red line before or after death?
as far as mucous , some sort of organics possibly from decaying fish?