HELLO!!!! Anybody out there????

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

HELLO!!!! Anybody out there????

Post by Sandy » Thu May 20, 2010 10:35 pm

Okay people,,,, Here's the deal.... I know there have got to be more folks out there that have problems, questions, or helpful tips they can share....
I CANNOT be the ONLY person that has things go wrong. Pick my brain (for what little it's worth), and then Gerwin can get on here and tell you the RIGHT way to do it.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't be scared,,, jump in,,, get your feet wet....
Gripe about your bad day, spilling water ALL over your floor while doing water changes, complain about forgetting to turn off your RO filter and it flooding your kitchen wood floor and how now you have to now replace the warped flooring.. :mrgreen: Yes I do!!! Just as soon as I find my round-to-it.
Fuss about how you buy one new fish and another one dies. (yea, it happens)
Fuss about how much your spouse fusses about how many things you have plugged into the electrical outlets. (He does all the time) :lol: :lol: Do I unplug,,, no,,, but I still hear him... :mrgreen:
Complain about the nice new pretty fish you bought and found them on the floor the next day all dried up and crispy!
Tell us how beautiful your tank is and how much you love it!!! Fresh water folks allowed here also. You are not alone.
I know we don't have thousands of members on here, but we are still a very strong, close knit group of friends, and we can get more members by just spreading the word.
Let's start sharing a little more!!!! Your secrets are safe with us. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And we don't always laugh at you, we laugh with you. Cause no one wants bad juju!!! And most likely we have been there before. Lord knows, I have been laughed at plenty!!! It's all good!!

Okay,,,, stepping down off of the box AGAIN........ :mrgreen:

MPowell
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: HELLO!!!! Anybody out there????

Post by MPowell » Fri May 21, 2010 12:01 am

Hi,

My name is Matt and I'm an addict! In just the last month I've paid for Gerwin's new scale and countless other things. I think my average trip there counts me around $300-400. Can somebody please help me? :lol:

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Bought my UV Sterilizer yesterday got it hooked up which was real easy once I got the right fitting and guess what, the bulb didn't work which was the part I let Gerwin install at the shop :lol:

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Fri May 21, 2010 1:03 am

Hey Matt. Yea, I know what you mean. I'm the kind of person that can hang out at the store for hours, sometimes I buy something and at times I don't, but there are also times when I will make a special trip to the store just to buy ONE rock! :mrgreen: It is very addicting, no doubt. :lol:

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Tue May 25, 2010 8:30 am

Anytime you're messing with ANY plumbing on your system turn off your ATO and all associated pumps....sounds like common sense I know, but........

Buy your Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) from hobby shops/equivalent, not Wal-Mart or elswhere. Bigger selection and cheaper.

Automate reef tanks as much as possibe...think about the long-run and stability....You'll still find PLENTY of things to do in the tank

Buy quality equipment the first time, but cut corners where you can

Think about what your CREATURES need...it might not be what YOU like....

KISS -- Keep It Simple Stupid -- I try to follow this adage as much as possible

There's plenty more but I'll stop there.

Zoohead
Swordtail Member

Post by Zoohead » Mon May 31, 2010 1:00 pm

Talk about sitting in the shop for hours, Me and Gerwin just shootin the sh1t other day at the shop. The lights go out on the SPS tank and we, we had been talking in front of tank for almost 2 hours.

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:24 am

Ok, well i have too much to gripe about with this stupid hobby!!! but i will talk about the time i think i possibly almost killed myself messing with the sump tank!
Free equipment from friends is always cool except for when its not! A friend gave me a protien skimmer to use until i can get a good skimmer, so i have it hooked up and running for a while, everything was great until one day... i was trying to unplug something and moving equipment around in my sump when all of a sudden sparks start flying everywhere!!! I immediatally yank my hands out of the sump which throws me off balance and now my face is inches away from the water and i am crouched down under my tank doing the funky chicken trying to debate which is a worse way to die, electrocution or knocking a 1000 lb tank down on you crushing you and probabally getting cut on the glass and bleeding out, As i am pondering my demise and trying not to fall into the sump i start thinking...you know this stuff is plugged into a power strip with a circuit breaker, which is plugged into a GFCI outlet which has a circuit breaker which is wired into a circuit breaker panel.... I thought this is what circuit breakers were supposed to prevent...and no offense Gerwin but as i was waiting for one of the circuit breakers to pop while slowly falling closer and closer into the water, i started looking at the design of the stand that you sold me very closely and i just didnt have a warm fuzzy feeling about falling into one of the supports LOL. I even started wondering how it was holding up that much weight in the first place...ROFL! Well, The circuit breaker never poped and aparently the stand is alot stronger than it looks :-) the wire to the protein skimmer Had a small cut that had caught on the screw on a hose clamp to the sump pump it welded itself to the nut!!!

Shelly
Swordtail Member

Post by Shelly » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:32 am

Gz28 wrote:Ok, well i have too much to gripe about with this stupid hobby!!! but i will talk about the time i think i possibly almost killed myself messing with the sump tank!
Free equipment from friends is always cool except for when its not! A friend gave me a protien skimmer to use until i can get a good skimmer, so i have it hooked up and running for a while, everything was great until one day... i was trying to unplug something and moving equipment around in my sump when all of a sudden sparks start flying everywhere!!! I immediatally yank my hands out of the sump which throws me off balance and now my face is inches away from the water and i am crouched down under my tank doing the funky chicken trying to debate which is a worse way to die, electrocution or knocking a 1000 lb tank down on you crushing you and probabally getting cut on the glass and bleeding out, As i am pondering my demise and trying not to fall into the sump i start thinking...you know this stuff is plugged into a power strip with a circuit breaker, which is plugged into a GFCI outlet which has a circuit breaker which is wired into a circuit breaker panel.... I thought this is what circuit breakers were supposed to prevent...and no offense Gerwin but as i was waiting for one of the circuit breakers to pop while slowly falling closer and closer into the water, i started looking at the design of the stand that you sold me very closely and i just didnt have a warm fuzzy feeling about falling into one of the supports LOL. I even started wondering how it was holding up that much weight in the first place...ROFL! Well, The circuit breaker never poped and aparently the stand is alot stronger than it looks :-) the wire to the protein skimmer Had a small cut that had caught on the screw on a hose clamp to the sump pump it welded itself to the nut!!!

Any pictures of that??????

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:24 am

MPowell wrote:Hi,

My name is Matt and I'm an addict! In just the last month I've paid for Gerwin's new scale and countless other things. I think my average trip there counts me around $300-400. Can somebody please help me? :lol:

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Bought my UV Sterilizer yesterday got it hooked up which was real easy once I got the right fitting and guess what, the bulb didn't work which was the part I let Gerwin install at the shop :lol:
HAHA my wife will not let me go into Gerwin's store alone. She has to be there to regulate my spending!!! Its all good though Gerwin and Roger have hooked me up several times!!