Drilling Tank

A "friendly forum" for those just starting out in aquarium keeping. No question is too basic, so don't hesitate to ask!
redsman
Minnow Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Drilling Tank

Post by redsman » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Hello I'm new to the forum.I recently was given an complete setup.The only bad thing about the setup was the 90 gal. tank isn't drilled.Does anyone know of a place or someone who drills tanks?I believe it can be drilled not sure though.I have looked on ways to tell if it is or not.I would say its not tempered.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Re: Drilling Tank

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:13 pm

I would call a glass shop like Dunaway Glass. They may be able to help you.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Generally speaking larger tanks have plate glass bottoms, and when not they often have a sticker stating such on bottom.

redsman
Minnow Member

Post by redsman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:21 am

I have no idea if this tank has any sticker.I was given it along with everything with it.So the sand covered the bottom.I used polarised glasses to see if the glass looked funny,but it didn't have any weird colors it just looked clear.I think I can I'm just afraid.I called dunaway glass and they don't drill holes.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:15 am

american glass does

Gz28
Discus Member

Post by Gz28 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:30 am

I have done it before,I am pretty good at it, but i am not an expert. I can say the thicker the glass the better, glass on a 90 gal is pretty thick so it shouldnt be that bad. I thought larger tanks had tempered glass on the bottom and plate on the sides. If it is tempered I would not risk drilling on the bottom, it can be done i just wouldnt want to do it. :-)

redsman
Minnow Member

Post by redsman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks Gerwin,now I have to debate on if I wanna tear my tank down now or later.

TJW68
Swordtail Member
My SetUp: Mixed reef 100 Gal with 30 long sump.(Reef octopus skimmer, Pharos LED's, Koralia power heads and SmartWave Wave Pump Timer, Reef Oct Return Pump, & a heater.
2nd tank is 36 gallon bow front LPS Reef(fluval 305, Reef Oct HOB 2000, 120 Watt PC)

Post by TJW68 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:48 am

JWChatham
Minnow Member
My SetUp: 29G DT/5G Sump: ReefOcto Skimmer: 1 Clown, 1 Domino, 1 Yellow Tang: Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, Green&OrangeZoas: 28lb Live Rock

Post by JWChatham » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:02 pm

Gerwin, what is the overflow on your main coral display tank called. Like, the style, where the entire length of the tank is an overflow on the back. Im considering getting an acrylic tank made custom and want to get the overflow done like that, unless you think there is a better way...

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:28 am

It's called a coast to coast overflow, Look Up Scott Allens new project and see the Bean Animal overflow too. Next big one we do will be Bean coast to coast....

JWChatham
Minnow Member
My SetUp: 29G DT/5G Sump: ReefOcto Skimmer: 1 Clown, 1 Domino, 1 Yellow Tang: Mushrooms, Toadstool Leather, Green&OrangeZoas: 28lb Live Rock

Post by JWChatham » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks for the info... How do I check out Scotts new projects?

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 pm

I am very very slowly moving through my build. I got the drilling done and will be building my Bean Animal overflow either at the end of this month or the beginning of next month. Mine is a true "coast to coast" in that it spans the entire width of the tank in order to pull the thinnest sheet of water as possible out of the tank. This method gives you the "dirtiest" water possible and helps to keep the overflow dead silent. (the way overflows and protein skimmers both work is that proteins are hydrophobic, meaning they are repelled by water and adhere to the surface of the water or the bubbles)

This is where my thread is hosted
http://www.bayoureefkeeping.com/topic/5 ... ate-azoox/

I'm Thatgrimguy