What have you done for your tank this week?

Blog the Progress of Your Aquarium
Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Re: What have you done for your tank this week?

Post by Shadow1 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Shadow1 wrote:
MPowell wrote:
Shadow1 wrote:Looking for 3 or 4 nice red or orange pieces and sit back to watch it all grow.
I've got a bunch of orange digi if you don't have any of that already.
Want to cut a couple of frags? I will swap or buy if so. PM me.
Just cut is great, I'll mount them in the rock work anyway
Got to go south tomorrow for Seachem alk. If you will be around, got to convince Redfish to try some SPS soon.
Want to trade for them or what?

MPowell
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by MPowell » Sat May 04, 2013 12:06 am

Won't be able to do it tomorrow since I'll be at work from 9-8. I'll drop a few off next week for you. Not really worried about getting anything in return since I have so much of it and it grows pretty fast in my tank.

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:56 am

:D Today, I first have to thank MPOWELL for the gracious "pay it foreword" all of us need to remember to do stuff like that,sometimes.
Now I am going to test levels, I already hooked up a 30 year old ,Magnum 330 to help clean out my sump doing well so far, I can't believe it still runs.
My oldest son just turned 30 so I have a time stamp to realize I have had salt system of some type for 35 years I bought the Magnum just before he was born, pissed my ex wife off.
Things have sure changed in this hobby.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sun May 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Well, did a number on the tank today. I really wanted to get my rock scape into its finial resting place before I started putting any SPS corals into the tank. After about three hours of playing with it and removing a few pieces to help with the water flow thru the structure, I am pretty much satisfied with how it turned out. After that chore was finished I started removing the pieces one at a time that would be home to the new corals and pre drilled a few frag plug holes into all of the rocks. Next up on the list was to do a water change, after about 7 hours of messing with the tank we were done for the day.

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Fri May 10, 2013 11:08 am

Shadow1 wrote::D Today, I first have to thank MPOWELL for the gracious "pay it foreword" all of us need to remember to do stuff like that,sometimes.
Now I am going to test levels, I already hooked up a 30 year old ,Magnum 330 to help clean out my sump doing well so far, I can't believe it still runs.
My oldest son just turned 30 so I have a time stamp to realize I have had salt system of some type for 35 years I bought the Magnum just before he was born, pissed my ex wife off.
Dropping off 2 frags today at Gerwins

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:56 pm

MPowell wrote:
Shadow1 wrote::D Today, I first have to thank MPOWELL for the gracious "pay it foreword" all of us need to remember to do stuff like that,sometimes.
Dropping off 2 frags today at Gerwins
Got them thanks they are fantastic :thumbup: let me know if I can do a return favor. :clap:

Today I rescaped the Nuvo cube, and put 2 new orange digi frags in the 300

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Mon May 13, 2013 1:29 pm

No problem man, now I have to bring Roger some.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri May 17, 2013 6:35 am

Well, I messed up again, second time I have made this mistake, it won't happen again. I waited too long to change out my RO filters and got a Cyno out break as a reward :( I used some Chem Clean in the tank, let it run for 48 hours and did a water change yesterday. I need to do another water change though, I apparently used a bit to much of the Chem Clean and the skimmer is not liking that. The Cyno is all cleared up, for now anyway. My next purchase will be a TDS meter, not having one is the cause of this reoccurring problem.

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sat May 18, 2013 7:03 am

Got two frags coming Sunday from the BRK swap in Baton Rouge, tested levels today MG a little low and so is ALK CA holding so up the doser for alk. Anyone got a dosing pump for sale? Going to have to start dosing MG using 100 ml a day and still dropping about 5 points a week.
Got to mix water for a water change due next week.
PO4 seems to be staying under control, .04 last week .03 today no changes in anything else so stability is king....
All the SPS are growing
Life is good.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sat May 18, 2013 7:30 pm

Shadow1 wrote: All the SPS are growing
Life is good.
Hope I can say the same thing in about 4 months :) What kind of frags do you have coming from the frag swap?

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:48 am

I have a Garf Bonsai mini colony about 2.5" or so and a Strawberry Lemonaid, then Becky couldn't stand it and bought a wild one from Roger yesterday about 5 inches across pale green to blue not sure what its going to do.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon May 20, 2013 6:52 am

Shadow1 wrote:and a Strawberry Lemonaid
I have never heard of that, bet its Sweet :)

Austin
Minnow Member

Post by Austin » Sat May 25, 2013 11:19 pm

I replaced 40lbs of my substrate this morning. only took 3 hours! last weekend went to Atlanta for a small vacay and picked up some montipora danae and setosa and ORA birdsnest frags!! pretty excited bout those!

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun May 26, 2013 5:02 am

Austin wrote:I replaced 40lbs of my substrate this morning. only took 3 hours! last weekend went to Atlanta for a small vacay and picked up some montipora danae and setosa and ORA birdsnest frags!! pretty excited bout those!
Just wondering, why did you replace the substrate, what were you using and what did you replace the substrate with? I just finished replacing all of my substrate, thats why I ask :)

JimmyZ19
Angel Member
My SetUp: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef born on 24 November 2012.

Post by JimmyZ19 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:52 am

Three days of darkness with 10% water changes. Over feeding in the early months and incorrect skimming left me on the losing end if a battle with hair algae. Obviously once erradicated I have a better feeding schedule and shorter lighting period. I am also going to beef up my cleanup crew.