What have you done for your tank this week?

Blog the Progress of Your Aquarium
Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Re: What have you done for your tank this week?

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:55 am

Tested this morning

PH 8.22
Salinity 1.0262
MG 1120 decreased over a month from 1340 got to get a doser
ALK 3.0/8.4 high so decreased dose by 8 ML a day
CA 420 little low but alk balance should correct it
NO3 0 can't ge no better :!:
PO4 .036 pretty steady since March. :clap:

Anybody got a dosing,pump for sale?

Those who use IO reef salt do you find low MG levels an issue? I did not have MG problems with Salinity.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:00 pm

Thats the one test kit I don't have MG I will have to pick one up the next time I go to THE STORE :D getting ready for my corals that will be here Tuesday :D Changed out the GFO and carbon, cleaned the skimmer and the Algae Scrubber tonight. Tomorrow I will clean the MP 40s and do a water chenge. I got the Duel TDS meter hooked up to the RO/DI unit, first day I was getting a 000 reading from both sensors. Yesterday I came home to make some top off water and one of the sensors was reading 022, couldn't figure that out since I had just changed the filters in the RO unit not that long ago. Before I panicked, like I usely do, I took the sensor out and put it back in. cranked up the RO Unit again and the number had went back to 000, don't know what was up with that, but its all good now. Sure is nice not having to guess as to wither or not I am putting bad RO water into my tank.

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:06 am

6/8 levels

PH 8.23
MG 1280 dosing MG in ATO for now
ALK 2.5/7.0 IO reef salt has high alk level if you are carbon dosing.
CA 410 increased dosage
SG 1.026
No3 0
Po4 .030

Made a trade 14 frags for a full 40B system just need lights.

smtwinn
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by smtwinn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:09 am

Got my RO/DI system mounted in the laundry rm. Plumbed all necessary lines, ran the product line through attic over to new AQUAFX 40 gal water storage container. which is also used for ATO in sump. remounted all my controls and power supplies for the radians, mp's and ATO onto my wall.

ALK - 3.2
CAL - 400
PHOS - .02
SALINITY - 1.026
TEMP - 79 all day long

changed filters and clean skimmer
picked up a six line, orange head wrasse, and a sand sifting goby.

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r55 ... G_1705.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r55 ... G_1704.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r55 ... G_1703.jpg

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:35 pm

Twinn, after close to 2 years with one you will grow to hate that goby, mine sifts sand all over the LPS.....

smtwinn
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by smtwinn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Shadow I don't think it was in my tank any longer than 24 hrs I woke up this morning tank was cloudy and stayed cloudy all day today until I got him out.....So it has been removed and given away!

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:25 am

Shadow1 wrote: will grow to hate that goby
Most likely the same with the Six Line, I have never had one, but I would say that 80% of the threads that I have read with people that do, say that fish is really mean towards other fish in the system. Guess you just have to take your chances and see if you will be one of the 20%

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 am

Start of a long day ran levels

PH 8.1
MG 1320
ALK 2.5/7.0
CA 430
No3 0
Po4 .001 yes I tested3 times Hanna phosporous checker ultra low range. :clap:

Dosing levels
Red Sea carbon 2 ml every 4 hours
Alk 15 ml every 3 hours
Ca 7 ml every 2 hours
MG dosed with ATO

Tomorrow waterchange and set up a new 40b LPS system.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Wish you were closer, would love to help U set up the 40b 8)

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:52 am

Redfish wrote:Wish you were closer, would love to help U set up the 40b 8)
I could use the help but will get it done.

Yea, got to break down a 30 move it clean the area. Place, plumb and fill the 40. Get it running clean all othe rock from the 30. Scape the new one, place I am not even sure how many of the LPS we can fit. Gong to do the waterchange on the 300 for part of the water and balance from the 30 then do a partial on the 40 next week.

Once I start have got to finish it. Water is mixed got to clean the 40 and the 10. Long day coming.

Live stock is
1 small yellow tang
1 small Sailfin
1 lobster
About 15 or so assorted LPS
And a frag rack.....

Equipment
40b main
Hydor 1400 for flow
Mag3 return from a 10 gal sump.
150w heater
Filter sock on drain line
Simple just live rock and a place for the tangs to grow till I put them in the DT.

Simple

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Success

[rimg]http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w43 ... a94724.jpg[r/img]

Not sure whats up with the link but here it is.

Bud
Angel Member
My SetUp: My set up:125 gl, Diablo Skimmer, 4 maxspect led, 125lbs + live rock, sand base, rose bubble tip anemone, mini carpet, 2 pair Perc and tomato clowns, yellow tang, coral beauty, red hawkfish, miss gobies and clean up crew. Corals: multiple leathers, acro's, mushrooms, donut, plate, etc... and growing

Post by Bud » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:32 pm

After months of neglect and ignoring the sage advice of our favorite LFS, I attacked a large outbreak of hair algae in my tank the last couple of days. Pulled out about 175 lbs of live rock (tank was packed full), suctioned the sand bottom as thoroughly as I could, put back in about 125 lbs of the cleanest( hair algae free mostly). I had several corals already on their last leg that didn't handle move, just got the light back on so the jury is still out on a couple others.

Seems like a good time to transition to some less reef friendly fish (trigger, angel, puffer) after I attack the remaining small amounts of hair algae on the rock. Didn't seem to have any die off on the rock (kept in tank water with movement).

I guess I'll clean off the remaining rock and hold onto it incase I go back to a full reef. Big project, but much needed. I'll try o keep up from here on.

Bud

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks to Eco Tech customer service I have replaced 2 of my Radions got on the website and reprogrammed for a more deep water light schedule rather than the high growth. Lots of glowing colors in here.
Waterchange Sunday.

Shadow1
Discus Member

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:38 pm

Tested levels this morning
PH 8.2
CA 420
MG 1280
ALK 2.7/7.0dkh
No3 2
Po4 .06

Changed out 3 cups GFO first time since late April
Changed out Carbon no reason just 3 monts old and seemed like time.

Getting ready for the BRK Parade of tanks on the 10th y'all come on up....

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:50 pm

Okay, this is actually what I did yesterday, but:

I removed all of the corals and LR and put it into a kiddie pool in the middle of the floor and filled it with about 40g of tank water. I siphoned about 3.5g of water into a separate bucket and as I removed each piece of LR I would dunk it and wash it well to remove hidden detritus. Then I sifted all of the sand and removed chunks that had concreted and empty snail and crab shells. I then used the dunking water and poured it back in to rinse the sand again and again removed this crap water. While empty, I scraped the sides to remove old coralline growth and other junk from areas the magnet couldn't reach. I think restacked all of my rock and corals, trying to elevate my SPS higher and to leave a little more room along the front. This worked okay, but I've found out two things; 1) I have too many corals (yeah right!) :lol: and 2) I need a bigger tank :( ! Number two will come eventually, but number one is what it is! After restacking I changed the positions of my two Koralias and before I could get my canopy back on, my new Chinese knock-off wave maker (Jebao WP-25) came in so I installed it as well. Man I have some flow in my tank now! I also have the new LED's running that I built. I am very happy with both and hope to really see some color develop in my LPS and SPS. My soft corals and zoas are glowing great though. I also changed both medias (XPort NO3 and PO4) in my reactor as well as cleaned the skimmer cup. Whew. Tank is good for a while, but now I need to test my parameters. Its been a while so I need to see how everything is doing.