We Have SPS Corals

Blog the Progress of Your Aquarium
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: We Have SPS Corals

Post by Redfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:04 am

Just an update here on my corals, sad to say, its not a good one. I pretty much lost all of the corals from the frag order except for the E Corals Unknown. I have pretty much come to the conclusion it was my lights that killed the corals. I was keeping up with my tank parameters and testing every other day, so I knew that wasn't the problem. I bought two frags from Gerwin and put them in the tank, one at the same level in the tank where the E Corals Unknown coral was at and the second coral, higher up in the tank. The coral higher up in the tank turned white in about two days, ( hateted to lose that coral, it came out of Rogers tank :( those are hard to come by) the one lower in the tank was doing fine. I lowered the percentage on the white LEDs by 10%, from 40% to 30%, left both the Royal Blues 60% and regular blue 50% LEDs at the same percentage they were at. I bought another coral from Gerwin, placed it in the tank where I had just lost the coral that had turned white. This was about 3 to 4 weeks ago and that coral is still doing fine today. Gabe (gbrendonk) brought over two frags that we put in the tank 2 days ago, they are holding their color and have great polyp extension. The one question I don't know, how high up in the tank can I go in placing a coral and not have it turn white and die on me, will the 30% white LED setting be to high at the top of my system, guess there is only one way to find out.

MPowell
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by MPowell » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:20 am

What LEDs are you running again AI's? I know my SPS corals have been doing great Under the Maxspect Razors and I've been dealing with both high nitrates and phosphates because I have a quite a few fish. I can bring a frag of orange digi and purple digi by Gerwins for you to try. Lighting doesn't really seem to be an issue with these as they will even grow on the bottom of my tank and its 29" deep.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:08 pm

I am running AI Sol Blues, thanks for the coral offer :) I am going to hold off a bit before I put anymore corals in the tank, want to make sure what I have continue to do alright before I kill any thing else. I am feeling pretty confident that I have this figured out, but I have said that before :)

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:57 pm

Redfish wrote:Just an update here on my corals, sad to say, its not a good one. I pretty much lost all of the corals from the frag order except for the E Corals Unknown. I have pretty much come to the conclusion it was my lights that killed the corals. I was keeping up with my tank parameters and testing every other day, so I knew that wasn't the problem. I bought two frags from Gerwin and put them in the tank, one at the same level in the tank where the E Corals Unknown coral was at and the second coral, higher up in the tank. The coral higher up in the tank turned white in about two days, ( hateted to lose that coral, it came out of Rogers tank :( those are hard to come by) the one lower in the tank was doing fine. I lowered the percentage on the white LEDs by 10%, from 40% to 30%, left both the Royal Blues 60% and regular blue 50% LEDs at the same percentage they were at. I bought another coral from Gerwin, placed it in the tank where I had just lost the coral that had turned white. This was about 3 to 4 weeks ago and that coral is still doing fine today. Gabe (gbrendonk) brought over two frags that we put in the tank 2 days ago, they are holding their color and have great polyp extension. The one question I don't know, how high up in the tank can I go in placing a coral and not have it turn white and die on me, will the 30% white LED setting be to high at the top of my system, guess there is only one way to find out.
yes one way to find out!
got lots of folks that have them right to the water line, but every light and position is a variable to be figured. Just start low and work your way up over weeks.