Byropsis Algae

Blog the Progress of Your Aquarium
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Byropsis Algae

Post by Redfish » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:46 pm

I am posting this to kind keep ya'll informed with how things go in a battle I am just starting in my tank. I thought I had a small Hair Algae thing going on in my tank, I know I am also fighting a Red Turf algae problem :roll: at the same time, who says having a Saltwater tank isn't challenging. I am starting to think if I didn't have problems in the tank, I wouldn't stay interested in the hobby :lol: Anyway, Arica and her very knowledgeable husband James stopped by the house a few weeks ago, and he informed me that it wasn't Hair Algae it called Byropsis Algae.

James informed me that the best way to fight, and pretty much the only way to fight this Algae is with Kent Marine Tech M Magnesium. What he said you do is, over time raise your magnesium till you hit a target number of 1600 with your Magnesium, keep it there till the Byropsis is gone, from what I have read, about 3 weeks most of the time. Not that I doubted James, it was more of, if I have something bad going on in the tank, I want to know all I can about it, so off to Goggle I went :)

After doing my online reading, what did I find out with my research, pretty much everything James said, was :thumbup: spot on. Evidently, when it comes to Byropsis Algae, all Magnesium's aren't created equal and the Kent product is the magnesium of choice. It supposedly has something in it that other Magnesium's brands don't have. I also read, when using this product, you don't want to run carbon on your system, it will remove what ever it is in the Kent magnesium that kills the Byropsis. Pretty much the only down side I could find in my readings was that, when your magnesium starts to reach your target number of 1600 your snails may take a hit. I am sure there might be some more bad effects, like to your corals, if you raise your magnesium levels to fast.

So all of this, brings me to my tank. Gerwin got my Kent Marine Tech M in today at the store, so we can start the battle and see what happens. I tested my magnesium levels in the tank to get a starting point, we were at 1420. I dosed 25 ml to the tank, will test again tomorrow and see what that brought my magnesium number up to and adjust the dose. I read you don't want to raise your levels by more than 100 per day, I think I will try and stick to about 50 per day, no need to rush. I also read, it doesn't take very long to get your magnesium levels up to 1600, takes along time to get them down, but not up.

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Re: Byropsis Algae

Post by eric the red » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Good luck Peter! I really hope this works for you. While keeping all of your nice sps alive and happy!

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:18 am

Hey Pete, I actually ran my Mg up to around 2200 one time trying to fight that damn scourge red hair algae I had at one time. I don't remember if I use the Kent product, Brightwell Aqautics product or if I used Epsom salts, but regardless, I never noticed any of my hard corals or snails seeming to give a crap. The only thing I did notice was my leather coral would retract its polyps for a day or so if I dripped it in too fast.

I think you are on the right track though by dosing less than you need and just taking it slow. Good luck.

W

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:11 pm

I added another 25ml before bed last nite before bed and another 50ml this morning, retested this afternoon, we are now at 1500 magnesium level. Sooo I now have a problem :) I am using a Salifert test kit, the highest it goes is 1500 :) I need another test kit. What kind of test kit can I get the will give me a reading over 1500, I at least want to mainmtain a 1600 level ?

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:02 pm

I hadn't thought about this, the higher Magnesium levels might do a number on the Algae Scrubber :( It is what it is though.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks Wes :) He explained to me how to use my test kit to measure over 1500 Mag. levels.

bct15
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by bct15 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:33 pm

The salifert magnesium test kit is linear, after you use your full mL, suck up another mL. Start adding it like you have not tested and record your result like normal, then add your result to 1500.

A quick FYI, high mag can kill acros. It will cause their flesh to bubble, then peel off. I had it happen to me with mag over 1700. Your clean up crew is at risk as well.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

bct15 wrote:The salifert magnesium test kit is linear, after you use your full mL, suck up another mL. Start adding it like you have not tested and record your result like normal, then add your result to 1500.

A quick FYI, high mag can kill acros. It will cause their flesh to bubble, then peel off. I had it happen to me with mag over 1700. Your clean up crew is at risk as well.
I am hoping that dosn't happen with my SPS corals, I am going to watch this pretty close and keep my Mag. levels at no more than 1600, give it a few weeks and see what happens with that level.

Ajskennels
Minnow Member

Post by Ajskennels » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:40 pm

We've had to do this a few times. My Sps and other livestock was fine. I also had a mixed reef the last time we had to do it Lps Sps softies ect. As long as he don't take it up too fast he will be fine. Good luck Pete!

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:33 pm

Here is a couple links of what happens to sps when mag gets to high...if you see this on your sps then they are most likely going to die. It happens a lot when people's mag gets high...just keep your eyes on your sps. It won't happen to all, just one or two...or maybe none. Some are more sensitive to mag than others, the typically fast growing acros are more sensitive to mag than others.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132555

And a photo from the thread

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/9ume7y3a.jpg[/img]

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135242

And a photo from the thread

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/urageguv.jpg[/img]

And my thread when I experienced it, I didn't post in there but I later discovered my magnesium test kit (salifert) had gone bad and my mag was way over 1700. Salifert kits need to be replaced every six months of not used up.

http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118436

And the photos of my frags

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/amezyqyt.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/ary5y9u5.jpg[/img]

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 pm

I will get a new test kit, just to make sure I am where I think I am with the mag. levels. Also sounds like my Red Dragon might be at risk :( I have to try and get rid of the Byropsis though.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am

Sitting here this morning, having my Zen moment looking at the tank and noticed a few pieces of the Byropsis floating around the tank. Now, I don't know if a crab or fish knocked some loose or the magnesium is starting to have an effect, either way, will keep watching to see what goes on with it.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:10 am

Well, I pretty much have the Byropsis eradicated from the tank. What I could do before now, was to manually remove most of it from the tank, within two days it was back to what it was before I removed it. I started seeing pieces of it floating around the tank, a couple of days after seeing that, I manually removed it all again. This time the results aren't the same, its not coming back :) The way this stuff grows, it has a main stem that has feathery branches coming off of it, I still have a few very fine strands in the tank, but no feathery parts to it. I think I just have to manually remove these very fine strands or just let them bio degrade themselves. These strands are very fine, I can barley get hold of them, even with tweezers. So, unless I am wrong, which I could be, I think this problem is solved. I plan to maintain my current magnesium level in the tank till I am satisfied this problem is gone though.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:06 am

:( Not gone just yet,,,, Did another large water change,,, large for me anyway, right at 25g,,,, for the Red Turf Algae and then redosed the Kents Marine Magnesium for the Byropsis to the tank,,, 50 ml.

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:18 pm

Pete is 50ml a maintenance dose? I'm dosing 300ml a day well was till I ran out.....