SO I'm starting a list RULES to know about your Hobby!

Your Host Shares His Random Thoughts and Observations
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

SO I'm starting a list RULES to know about your Hobby!

Post by Gerwin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 am

RULE # 1:
Never, I repeat NEVER keep track of what it is costing you!!!

this kind of evidence cannot only incriminate you should the other half discover the ledger, but could even put my lively hood at risk! :mrgreen:

RULE #2:
If you are forced to leave hobby (Job, significant other etc)
YOU MUST, find a replacement to take your place shopping at JUST FISH! (maybe even 2!, your support for us cannot be left unattended in your absence)

now I am open to hearing other rules we might share with new hobbyists entering our Fishy world

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Re: SO I'm starting a list RULES to know about your Hobby!

Post by brianjoy81 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am

That's pretty much the golden rule Haha.

Just a little FYI, Gerwin's prices are great! I was stationed in Charleston SC last January and I can barley afford to buy a piece of coral here in Charleston. I remember going to Garwin's and I was like a kid in a candy store! I would always walk out with something.

I did call out the manager of the LFS store here in SC about his prices. I don't think he liked that to much. Gerwin I need you to send me a shirt so I can wear it in the LFS store here Haha

Little Brian

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:35 am

Gerwin wrote:RULE # 1:

this kind of evidence cannot only incriminate you should the other half discover the ledger, but could even put my lively hood at risk! :mrgreen:

now I am open to hearing other rules we might share with new hobbyists entering our Fishy world
Can I get an AMEN!

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:07 am

Gerwin wrote:RULE # 1:

Can I get an AMEN! That is definitely the first rule which I failed to do until recently.

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 am

I'm going to suggest practicing PATIENCE as being the second rule. Which again I struggled very hard with for my first year in the hobby.

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

Actually
Rule 1 should be get a significant other who wants to be in the hobby......... :thumbup:
Rule 2 Per Scott Allen "Go Slow let it grow" :)
Rule 3 fish/coral will die if you can figure out why great do not do it again if not....get another one :roll:
Rule 4 Never Give up. :mrgreen:
Rule 5 if your are dealing with The G'man and Roger trust and listen to your LFS. :clap:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Rule #~ You, nor ANYONE else knows everything. Always take suggestions and advice from many sources then make your own informed decissions.

Rule #~ Every tank is different so no matter what works, doesn't work etc. in some one elses tank, doesn't mean it will/won't in yours.

Rule #` Never dose without testing. What's the point of adding something if you don't KNOW what your tank needs.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:30 am

My contribution: Not so much rules as these are my best advice ideas.
1 Right before putting the tank on the stand, turn it on its side and put your thru hull fittings on the tank. Will save your back if your old like me :)
2 Get your Rock Scape the way you want it before adding anything to the tank. Always hate having to change my rock scape up after.
3 When in doubt do a water change.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:11 pm

Rule 1: PATIENCE. Take your time, make any changes slowly and keep everything stable... SPS = stability promotes success. It's not a race, it's a marathon. Always err on the side of observing too long instead of reacting too fast. Make additions, add any new products, change any lighting very very slowly. Ramp up into it's use.

Rule 2: UNDERSTANDING Don't do ANYTHING if you don't know specifically why you are doing it or how it's going to help. Don't add anything if you haven't researched the needs and compatibility first.

Rule 3:OBSERVATION Never forget to sit back and enjoy the tank. As I got further and further into my SPS addiction I found myself so consumed by the parameters, flow patterns, lighting intesity and spectrum, that I forgot to look at the tank and not just see the sump. Take time everyday to check over your livestock. Look closely at each piece of coral and note how it looks. After a while you will get a feel for your tank and you will know instinctively if anything is off and you can head it off before it becomes a catastrophe.

brianjoy81
Discus Member

Post by brianjoy81 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Another good rule is to ask an employee at a LFS a silly question to see if they are just trying to sell you something or do the really care about your tank. When I was brand new to the hobby I tired to buy a fish and Gerwin stopped me and would not sell it to me cause he said I wasn't ready yet! Now that is a good LFS owner. So now I when I move to new cities I always play dumb to see if they are just trying to sell me stuff.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:12 pm

ok this rule came to me just as the other, from speaking with all our good friends that shop with us....once again another one of you must go due to work! it sucks for both of us and this continues much to often to go unchecked..therefore

RULE #2:
If you are forced to leave hobby (Job, significant other etc)
YOU MUST, find a replacement to take your place shopping at JUST FISH! (maybe even 2!, your support for us cannot be left unattended in your absence)