Lighting upgrade in Biocube?

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
captbenjy
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Lighting upgrade in Biocube?

Post by captbenjy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey guys, the biocube has an open spot to add another LED strip. Should I add a cool white or another blue? I've read that adding a cool white LED to come on with the blue at night gives off a moonlight shimmer. Is this good or bad? I'm a complete newb wanting to grow a few corals and want to give the best light conditions around the clock. Please feel free to give pointers.

captbenjy
Guppy Member

Re: Lighting upgrade in Biocube?

Post by captbenjy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 pm

While I'm at it I'll go ahead and tell what I've got going now for your opinions. I've added timers to the lights so that they cycle automatically. Right now the Blue LEDs are on until 7am, then the Actinic lights start until 9am and are joined by the white CF until 5pm (8hrs) and then they go off and the Actinics continue until 7pm and again of course the LEDs come back on.

Any recommendations? Pointers? Critiques? All welcome...like I said a newb but want to do things right and progress.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:18 pm

The Pros in here will give you the answers you need :lol: thats not me. The only other I think they would need is to know what type corals you are wanting to keep. I think they would need to know that before recommending lights.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:09 pm

BLues seem to be the most popular by far, and I can see why...things will "pop" more with the little extra hit.
Be careful about running to much to soon, if the tank has few corals or is a newer set up we need to go slow on the lights.
Come by the store and remind me of this post and I will give you better ideas...I like talking more than typing :lol:

captbenjy
Guppy Member

Post by captbenjy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:02 pm

I get off the boat in another week and I'll be heading your way one day. :thumbup: Just doing some thinking. Too much time on my hands while at work LOL.

MPowell
Discus Member

Post by MPowell » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes, we all know Gerwin likes to hear himself talk :lol: I'd do blues personally because I think most colors pop better under blues.