Gerwin -this is bean-animal overflow

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Scott Allen
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Gerwin -this is bean-animal overflow

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:55 am

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/sile ... ystem.aspx

This is the design I want to go with for the coast to coast overflow on the custom tank.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: Gerwin -this is bean-animal overflow

Post by Redfish » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 pm

I saw this system on a 300g tank build on Reef Central, I like it. Seems like it will keep all the waste out of your tank really easy and get it down to the skimmer and out of your system. If I had known more about it, I would have gotten it on my tank.

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:37 pm

Redfish wrote:I saw this system on a 300g tank build on Reef Central, I like it. Seems like it will keep all the waste out of your tank really easy and get it down to the skimmer and out of your system. If I had known more about it, I would have gotten it on my tank.
That's the coast to coast part of the concept. Gerwin's tank in the shop is like that. And I agree that it seems it would get more of the proteins down to the filtration because they are hydrophobic so it's attracted to the water surface (it's how our protein skimmers work to start with) As an added bonus and it's quieter.

The bean animal part is a modification adds security and silence to the setup and allows you to handle a TON of water. And handle it completely silently. Consists of 3 drains. The primary drain is a full siphon which handles a lot more water volume than a typical overflow and won't flush or gurgle because no air gets in. This all happens because the 2nd drain handles excess water to make sure the siphon stays full. This drain isn't handling much water so it too is silent. And the 3rd handle no water in regular operation but acts as a backup in case a snail or something gets in one of the first too to act as a back up.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:11 am

Here is a link you might be interested in:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showt ... ean+animal

Scott Allen
Discus Member

Post by Scott Allen » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:47 am

Dang... sweet build.