LED's

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

LED's

Post by bluwtr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Okay, so most everyone knows that I've finally upgraded to LED's and I love them. I have a question that I know those of you who've used them for a while can answer. When should I expect to start seeing better coloration and such from my SPS? The lights have been running for two weeks now. I run the royal blues and the UV's at 100% for 10 hours a day and the whites are running at about 60% for 6 hours per day. As reference, my alk is at 10.10dKH but my Ca+ was a little low as was my Mg+ so I've been slowly dosing to up those. Salinity is 1.025 and NO3 and PO4 are both at 0.00.

Thanks for the advice.

Wes

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: LED's

Post by Redfish » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:34 pm

Well, you know me Wes, I really don't know what I am talking about, but :lol: As long as your tank parameters are inline, I would think that the next thing that would come into play as far as effecting your SPS corals coloring up would be your Par numbers from the new LED lights. When I got my AI Sol Blue LED lights, I was able to post on Reef 2 Reef too others that had the AI Sol Blue lights over their SPS tanks to see what they were running them at, and I pretty much set my lights accordingly, home made lights will be another thing though. It would be best to get a Par Meter and test your lights to see where they are at when it comes to Par levels over your tank. Don't know if that helps, but Par numbers are where I would start at.

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Switching tends to freak out the SPS I would suggest a slow ramp up to where you want to run them say over 6 weeks.

Which LEDs did you get? I have the Radion gen2's and switching from gen1's caused some bleaching have never had MH or t5's so can't speak to the switch there. LEDs seem to be an issue with being to bright for SPS at first and it takes a while for them to adjust.

New corals tend to brown out in my system over a week or two unless I set an acclimation mode then they color back up over the next 5 or 6 weeks.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 pm

I do want tho treat my PAR because even with the MH it was never as high as I expected. Do you know if Gerwin ever found his meter? I know he was looking for it at one time.

My kit is a build from Rapid led. It has 30 3w Crees in it. Now, I have no idea how that translates into output but they sure seem bright. As I said, it's only been two weeks. Maybe I'm just impatient :lol: .

Thanks