Whats the best???

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Whats the best???

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:39 am

I'd like to get some opinions from my readers, and staff
then I will give my 2 cents

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:22 am

i assuming you are referring to what types(no, vho , mh) of light systems are the best. to be honest with you they all work just fine(within limits, esepecially the depth of the tank plays a big part)
i have succesfully kept acros(conisidered to be most light demanding) under no(normal outpout), ho(high outpout), vho(very high outpout) and mh(metal halide) over the many many years that i have been reefkeeping.
of course each specific type of light has its advantages and disadvantages.
outlined below is my recommendation for each type of system.
and as far as types of bulbs, cri, and kelvin of bulbs we will discuss later.

no = fish only, basic reef
ho = fish only, basic reef, moderate reef
vho=moderate reef, full blown reef(including clams, acros)
mh=full blown reef(including clams, acros)

of course this will get lots of mixed debate from others.
and another note, these are very basic ideas on light systems, which could be talked about and deliberated for days on the this subject.

Luis C
Guppy Member

Post by Luis C » Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:50 am

I don't feel that there is a best type of lighting out there as a whole. Obviously metal halides will get closest to natural sunlight......even though they are still far off. I think there is a best lighting scenario for individual tank set ups. The lighting you choose depends on what you want to keep in your tank. I have used NO, Power Compacts, and Metal Halides are on their way. I have not had much experience with VHO. From what I have read and understand......VHO and Power Compacts are fairly similar. Power compacts are newer to the industry. From the research that I have done, a 96W power compact can put out a greater amount of light than a 110W VHO, with less heat. I use a Current Orbit Power Compact system on my tank right now with 4 X 65W bulbs. It looks good and my corals seem to be enjoying the light. The complaint that I have heard about power compacts is that you cannot get a true actinic bulb like you can with VHO. The downfall to VHO's is more heat and a shorter bulb life. I agree with Archie, you can keep high light loving corals or clams in lower light tanks........this is when feeding comes into play though. Supplementing the coral with food in order to make up for what it is not getting in light. Anyone else had experience with other lighting systems?

Archie
Discus Member

Post by Archie » Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:28 am

the best thing i like about metal halides is the ripple effect(very natural) you can achieve with aggressive flow at the top of the water column.
as far as heat is concern metal halides and vho's give off the same amount. just that metal halides heat is generated form such a small surface area.

Mr Keith
Minnow Member

Re: Whats the best???

Post by Mr Keith » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Natural sunlight seems to be the obvious correct answer. Considering the difficulty in achieving this, I will just continue to test and tune with the availability of funds for the latest achievements of the hobby. I've used most types of lighting and metal halides are nice but heat and costs are high. currently testing ecotech"s and razor with some success. leds have a lot of diversity with low heat and cost after initial investment. So far I have not returned to halides but never say never. It's all about the corals. So far the fish only care if I turn on the ecotech's storm mode. Type of coral and where it was grown may contribute to its requirements. all of this is IMO.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:06 pm

If we are talking about lights, I really don't think its a one light fits all systems, the lighting you choose for your system, I think, is dictated by the type of a system you are running, more than anything else. As Archie said " this could be talked about and deliberated for days" If I were asked what lights I would recommend for a Mixed Reef LPS/SPS tank, dedicated Acan tank, dedicated Chalice tank, soft coral tank, Fish Only tank, chances are pretty good, I would have different light recommendations for each of these systems.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:58 pm

lets see Archie's post, 2004 :lol:
bet he like Radions Now :wink:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:19 am

A mixture of MH, T5HO, LED and natural sunlight. That should about take care of any needs. Also may want to have a 4-5 deep tank just to be safe! :roll: :wink:

Kirk_m
Guppy Member

Post by Kirk_m » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:28 pm

I think LED/T5 is a nice combination. I keep anything I want under T5HO bulbs in my SPS reef, but, I added two ReefBrite XHO strips to supplement and give a shimmer effect recently. I love the look.

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Post by eric the red » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:47 pm

I have a combo of led and t5s myself. I have 3 radion pros and 2 48 inch ati blue plus. I think the t5s really evens out the lighting. There is less of a spotlighting effect. Also it adds to the color immensely.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:51 pm

New 120 deg lens :-)

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 am

I'm about to drop the cash on a new light set-up (currently have MHs)...I can't decide between an ATI fixture or Radions....thoughts?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:31 am

Radions!! Trust me Jason. But I can get them both and I keep radions in stock

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:42 pm

C-21 USAF wrote:I'm about to drop the cash on a new light set-up (currently have MHs)...I can't decide between an ATI fixture or Radions....thoughts?
If you are going with a SPS tank, which I would bet you are :lol: Radions should be the choice. If the lights are going over a LPS tank, I would get the ATI fixture. So,,,, give us a update, where are you stationed at, I am guessing you are back in the country if you are setting up a tank.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member

Post by C-21 USAF » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:08 am

Gerwin wrote:Radions!! Trust me Jason. But I can get them both and I keep radions in stock
Gerwin, I was leaning this way already...you just confirmed it...now, G2 or G3?

Pete, of course its SPS!...but Ethan (my son) has an LPS tank below it that I have T-5s on and are happy with them. I tried to upload a pic but it didn't work. The tanks are both 2x4x1. I'm at Fairchild Air Force Base in Spokane WA flying the KC-135...yep, back to fueling the fight!