Durso pipe drains "burping", what can I do

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
bcarleton
Angel Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Durso pipe drains "burping", what can I do

Post by bcarleton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:47 am

After about 3 weeks of running now the drain lines have decided that they want to start burping. about every 15 seconds or so. Have tried the easy things like adjusting the valves and making sure that the soft lines are not kinked. I had been running the valves slightly closed for the majority of the time. They were set at a point where if I closed them anymore the water level in the overflow would back up. I have opened the valves fully right now hoping to ease flow but has not worked. Do I need to increase the air opening on top of the durso. It is one of the MegaFlow kits. Set up is a 120g tank with dual overflows, the drains are plumbed separately, returned buy a Mag9.5

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Durso pipe drains "burping", what can I do

Post by bluwtr » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:53 am

From what I understand on the durso, the air opening is the key so I would say yes trey enlarging the airhole. Just be sure to go a little at a time to be sure you don't over do it. Hope that helps and good luck.

337Reefer
Minnow Member

Post by 337Reefer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:52 am

Have you tried to lower or raise the durso. How are your valves set up on the return pump

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Post by eric the red » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:26 am

I had some diy durso standpipes in a 75 at one time. I could never get it to stop burping. Although I did read that if you enlarge the air hole or put more tiny air holes it would stop the burping.

The cure for anything is saltwater. Sweat, tears, or the sea. - Isak Dinesen

bcarleton
Angel Member

Post by bcarleton » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:58 am

Well, finally figured it out. was not the drains at all. it was the skimmer. I was so focused on drains I was looking past the skimmer chamber. I just happened to see the water level drop same time I heard a burp. shut it down pulled it out and cleaned it. the air line had some salt build up but everything else looked good. put her back together and all seems fine. did take time to put in a bit of a riser so now it sits in about 6.25" of water instead of 7. got valve almost all the way open for now will adjust that later.