Current Orbit LED Review and Configuration Assistance

Tanks, Filtration, & Lighting Discussion
Bradk
Minnow Member
My SetUp: `55 Gallon mixed reef- Current USA Orbit led Lighting
`30 Gallon Biocube (starting a Zoa Garden)
`45 Gallon freshwater Burundi/Kigoma tank

Current Orbit LED Review and Configuration Assistance

Post by Bradk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Hey guys this is my first post on here so call me a guppy if you like! I wanted to drop a few lines to talk about a relatively new led product that the store is selling called the Current Orbit LED. I purchased this light a while back when i was in the store considering purchasing new t5 bulbs. At the time i was running t5s (4 bulbs over my mixed reef) and really wasn't liking the bulkiness and the amount of heat and water evaporation it was giving off...especially since i don't use a canopy. Well i looked around the store at the leds and began to realize that the amount of money i would have to put into picking me up a set of lights was not something i wanted to pay 700 dollars for....and don't think the wife would have thought any higher of me. lol So this is what led me to pick up the Current LED.

170 Bucks for the capability that this 36 inch led has is amazing( Gerwin carries different sizes, just what i got). Especially considering this bad boy has a ramp timer and other sweet customization options! I am seeing great growth in all my softies and i also have living proof of growth of SPS!! Green/ Red Digi Montipora and Birds-nest to name a couple..I have started them at approximately 6 inches deep and now have them 14 inches deep and still seeing growth! Frogspawn, hammers, torches all splitting heads like a Scottish pub.

I would highly recommend this LED to anyone not strictly keeping SPS ... If your t5 can support your corals this ,light can as well with less water evaporation, less heat, a cheaper electric bill and a sleek appeal.

If you have even the slightest notion of picking up this light or are just in the market for a new one in the future please ask me any questions! Don't let my hours of research be for nothing! haha From here i can walk you though the programming and give advice on how to set up your ramp timer with percentages and light schedule set time frames etc. Id like to keep it on here bc more than one person may have the same question or whatever.

Each Orbit Marine LED system Includes:
-1 Orbit Marine LED fixture with attached adjustable docking mounts
-1 Ramp Timer Pro with Wireless LED remote control
-1 12V DC UL transformer

Benefits:
-Dual Daylight and Dual Actinic spectrums for vibrant color, growth and shimmer
-24 hour gradual sunrise, sunset and moonlighting creates a natural rhythmic light cycle
-Slow ramp up prevents light shock, gently acclimates fish to bright LEDs

Features
-Fully controllable, includes Ramp Timer Pro with wireless IR remote
-Thin, sleek aluminum housing
-Plug-and-play, easy to program, internal memory
-Adjustable docking mounts fit on a wide variety of aquarium sizes
-Low voltage, 12VDC and IP65 water resistant, safe for aquariums

Pictures here :http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lig ... it-marine/

Bradk
Minnow Member
My SetUp: `55 Gallon mixed reef- Current USA Orbit led Lighting
`30 Gallon Biocube (starting a Zoa Garden)
`45 Gallon freshwater Burundi/Kigoma tank

Re: Current Orbit LED Review and Configuration Assistance

Post by Bradk » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:01 pm

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:34 am

Nice write up. Thanks dude

fire905safety
Guppy Member

Post by fire905safety » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 pm

Gerwin- I have a reefer. friend in hattiesburg interested in a 48". What's your price?

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:37 am

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:41 am

But sold last one yesterday more Thursday

Stokes12
Guppy Member

Post by Stokes12 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:21 am

$1990?????

JimmyZ19
Angel Member
My SetUp: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef born on 24 November 2012.

Post by JimmyZ19 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:22 am

I think 199.00 is what he meant? Lol. I just threw one of these on a planted tank. My review on this application to follow.

Stokes12
Guppy Member

Post by Stokes12 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:34 am

Lol. That sounds more like it

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Oops. That shows I can't poop and type at same time.

JimmyZ19
Angel Member

Post by JimmyZ19 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Hahahaha

JimmyZ19
Angel Member

Post by JimmyZ19 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Ok. The freshwater verdict. I know they sell a fixture for planted tank applications but I couldn't wait! So I took one if these home and immediately loved how my wife's discus popped. After a couple days we settled with 25%blue and 100% white. The tank has a very clean and crisp look to it. The plants look great and have been growing as well or better than they did under HOt5s.

Overall a great fixture for a planted aquarium in my opinion. It has very limited programmability but it is pretty slick. The part I dislike is there is only an option to let each channel ramp up for 30 minutes. So you are at full day light in an hour. It does dim very smoothly though. It also has a setting that allows you to simulate an overcast day, partly cloudy day, overcast night, and lightning storm. The downfall here is you have to resume your normal settings it won't just go into your dim cycle at the end of the day. The moonlight is actually awesome as it limits you to four hours or less a night. No going out I control with lunar cycles! Bad thing with the moonlight is it is too dark blue that we really have a hard time seeing in our planted tank. I should see what it looks like over my reef tank, I'm sure corals would pop. (Someone else here might could chime in there.) You have the option of editing the preprogrammed events to customize what you want. Follow the instructions and it is very simple to do. We used the third one and just lowered the blues to 25% and kept the time period the same with 4 hours of moonlight.

I'll take questions if you have any. I think it's a great light for less light demanding LPS. Someone into fragging who wants a cheaper light for SPS frags might find this acceptable in shallow applications. As for plants, this works great on the 29g.

Cheers!