water cloudiness

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

water cloudiness

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:45 pm

ok guys i need some help here. my 55 gallons water is really cloudy and it seems to be get cloudier. i don't know whats going on. i ran some tests on my water pH, Nitrates, Nitrites, all good. the amonia is a little high but not in the danger zone. but that really doesn't explain cludy water. everything i feed them they eat so i know that shouldn't be a problem. some one help. Please!

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: water cloudiness

Post by Gerwin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 pm

when answering post I gotta go with the knowns before I entertain the unkowns, so some ammonia is not only relative it is most likely the problem, as it indicates either over feeding or a non-established tank or both. Either of those could result in a cloudy water situation. The Solution to pollution is dilution.
water change , water change, water change (PARTIAL on all of them , maybe 25%)

Jamilw1989
Discus Member
My SetUp: Three tanks: 5 gallon used as a nursery; 10 gallon, has four small guppies and four micky mouse fish and three neons, 20 gallon, male, and female swordtail, male and female platy male guppy three baby guppies don't know what they are yet and three baby platies.

Post by Jamilw1989 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Gerwin wrote:when answering post I gotta go with the knowns before I entertain the unkowns, so some ammonia is not only relative it is most likely the problem, as it indicates either over feeding or a non-established tank or both. Either of those could result in a cloudy water situation. The Solution to pollution is dilution.
water change , water change, water change (PARTIAL on all of them , maybe 25%)
Ok i will keep doing water changes. None of the fish are sick so thats good. I will keep you updated.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:28 am

Just wondering is there a test kit for Ammonia?

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:49 am

Redfish wrote:Just wondering is there a test kit for Ammonia?
Yes the best one is buy API there are actually two different ones you can get there one just for ammonia or you can get one like i have it costs more but it tests pH, High range pH ( not to sure what the difference is but its two seperate test bottles) Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. you will have to buy an extra text beaker there is five test and they only gave me four beakers i think thats a bit stupid. you can buy this test kit at petsmart i know but i would stay away from there it cost almost $50 i got mine on amazon.com for 20 the exact same kit. Its called API Freshwater Master test kit.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 pm

Pete,
Jami has freshwater tanks. Just lettin you know so you don't go try to buy one for saltwater :mrgreen:

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Sandy wrote:
Pete,
Jami has freshwater tanks. Just lettin you know so you don't go try to buy one for saltwater :mrgreen:
They have the API master test kit for saltwater too. they cost a little bit more but i have seen them.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Sandy wrote:
Pete,
:lol: I just asked because if he didn't know there was one he could get it.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:10 am

i think i pinned down some of my problem and i am screwed; its our water here at home. i was drawing some from our shower fawcet and it was all scuzzy. I don't know what to do.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 am

Stop using tap and buy from Gerwin (.25/gallon) or save and buy an RO/DI unit. I see you guys live a ways out so long term may be cheaper with the unit for you given the cost of gas.

Gz28
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gz28 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:18 am

Isnt rodi water not good for freshwater tanks because it takes out all of the stuff that is needed in the water. Wouldnt running a carbon filter clear the water up?

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:01 am

Gz28 wrote:Isnt rodi water not good for freshwater tanks because it takes out all of the stuff that is needed in the water. Wouldnt running a carbon filter clear the water up?
Readi water; there is no problem with it. its actually better in so many ways, it actually puts stuff in thats needed. as for the carbon filter i can't because i use sponge filters and i don't think you can put caribon in them i don't think and if i did it probably would defeat their purpose. I was actually going to buy some yesterday when we were in PetSmart buying dog food, but the one in the prominode thought i was stupid and said they never heard of buying ready water. the one in gulfport has it but its like 10 bucks for 2 gallons. I do not have that kind of money to buy water with.
Wes what is a RO/DI unit?

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:43 am

RO/DI stands for Reverse Osmosis/DeIonized water. It is pure water--H2O and nothing else. No chemicals, heavy metals, phosphates etc. As far as "removing" stuff needed for a FW tank, it's not really an issue. You add the suppliments that are needed such as pH buffers to lower the pH etc. Gerwin could help you out with that. It is far better to start with pure water and add than it is to fight the results of crappy tap water.

As far as running carbon with the sponge filter, I'm confused as to why you think this can't be done. For years and years the standard "filter" for FW tanks were the crappy little corner filter with floss and carbon. 90% of your hang on back filters like the Aqua Clear use a floss/carbon insert. Just because you have a sponge doesn't preclude the use of carbon. Not sure why you think it would defeat the purpose. Carbon is a "chemical filtrant". It removes ions from the water by trapping it in the pores of the activated carbon. While some bacteria can/will grow on the surface it is very small. Remember there are three types of filtration--mechanical (sponge), chemical (carbon) and biological (bacteria).

Jami, I have to give you some honest and good advice--STOP GOING TO PETSMART. Half of the people that work there have no idea of what they are doing and the other half don't care. This is evidenced by the reaction you got from them.

Hope that explains it a bit better and good luck.

Jamilw1989
Discus Member

Post by Jamilw1989 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 pm

bluwtr wrote:RO/DI stands for Reverse Osmosis/DeIonized water. It is pure water--H2O and nothing else. No chemicals, heavy metals, phosphates etc. As far as "removing" stuff needed for a FW tank, it's not really an issue. You add the suppliments that are needed such as pH buffers to lower the pH etc. Gerwin could help you out with that. It is far better to start with pure water and add than it is to fight the results of crappy tap water.
As far as running carbon with the sponge filter, I'm confused as to why you think this can't be done. For years and years the standard "filter" for FW tanks were the crappy little corner filter with floss and carbon. 90% of your hang on back filters like the Aqua Clear use a floss/carbon insert. Just because you have a sponge doesn't preclude the use of carbon. Not sure why you think it would defeat the purpose. Carbon is a "chemical filtrant". It removes ions from the water by trapping it in the pores of the activated carbon. While some bacteria can/will grow on the surface it is very small. Remember there are three types of filtration--mechanical (sponge), chemical (carbon) and biological (bacteria).
Jami, I have to give you some honest and good advice--STOP GOING TO PETSMART. Half of the people that work there have no idea of what they are doing and the other half don't care. This is evidenced by the reaction you got from them.
Hope that explains it a bit better and good luck.
well it has clear a little in the last hour but not much. i took the carbon filter off my 20 and stuck it in the 55 just to see if it would help and and it is its just to small for such a big tank. its helping to clear it up. the fish all seem ok all are alive. i only lost one mickey mouse platy since i put them in there but it was very small and i think it may have starved because all the adults got all the food and it got nothing. I know i need to get the good bacteria growing; and thats taking longer in this tank than it did in the others. the difference in the tanks are the other two have UG filters and this doesn't i don't know if thats what does it but the others are crystal. the only time i clen them is when the water turns completely yellow then i pull out the carbon run it under cold water and pop it back in the tubes. and change a gallon or two of water. I should have listened to my gut and bought the UG filter for the 55.

Chef Steve
Discus Member
My SetUp: 29 gallon saltwater tank (coral in future hopefully)

Post by Chef Steve » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Definitely would go buy some puripads from gerwin. Should be all that you would need to run. Some water will come out the faucet kinda cloudy looking, sometimes just from air in pipes, but being on well water there might be some kind of elevated levels. Would definitely start using ro/di water.