My New Toy

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

My New Toy

Post by Redfish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:57 pm

I tried to post the pics here, but it said my pics had to be no bigger than 800 pixcels or something like that. Since I don't know how to down size the pics in Photo Bucket, here is a link to them in another forum I am in.

http://lareefclub.com/phpbb3.09/viewtop ... =4&t=34520

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Re: My New Toy

Post by Redfish » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:56 pm

Well, pics of the Scrubber online are going to have to wait, its going to take me a bit longer than I planned to get the Scrubber up and running. I have decided to relocate the MP40s and Battery backups to a, I will call it a control panel. I have been wanting to do this for awhile and it would be a pain to do after I get the Scrubber online, so the time is now. I guess I am starting to learn to have patients :lol:

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 am

From all accounts Bud's scrubbers are fantastic. I am sure you will be pleased when you get it going. You are a better man than me I would jury rigg it and have it running and a mess under the tank just sayin..... :clap:

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:00 pm

I am off Sunday & Monday, so I am hoping to have the Scrubber up and running by end of day Monday I have several projects though. Splitting my one return line in the tank to two return lines in the tank to create more flow hasn't worked out to well and I need to put it back to the way it was. The split return line is creating the flow I wanted, but I had to shorten the Durso pipe to run the new return line and that is causing a bit to much noise for me when water coming into the over flow box has to drop to the new lower water level created by the lower Durso pipe, that job isn't going to take to much time. Moving the MP40s and battery back ups :) and making the panel to mount it all to is what's going to take the time.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:24 pm

GETTER DONE!! :lol: :lol:

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Started at 6 am, quit at 4pm and still have another day to go :) I got the Durso pump problem taken care of :clap: can barley hear it now, not giving up on installing the second return line, just have to come up with another plan. Took the Reef Octopus skimmer out and gave it a vinegar bath and tried to figure out what size pump was on it so I can order a replacement. I am pretty sure its starting to go out, but hey, its about 8 or 9 years old, so I think I got my moneys worth out of it. I had to pump the water out of the sump so I could move the sump tank over to the left about four inches. I needed the extra room on the right side of the tank stand to place the 2x6s and 2x4s to move all the MP40 stuff to. I got those boards cut and painted today, that will be first up on the list tomorrow. The sump was kind of a pain to move, I have never moved it since I built the stand, it was kinda stuck to the stand a bit. When the tank first broke loose from the stand, I thought I had cracked the tank :wtf: I repositioned the manifold system, Scott told me that a Scrubber can help produce a lot of Pods for your system. My Scrubber is going to drain into the section of my sump where the feed pump for the manifold was sitting. Figured there is no since in all those Pods running thru my Carbon and GFO reactors. I moved the manifold pump into the skimmer section hope the skimmer will still fit in there now :lol: pretty sure it will. Since I moved the manifold system, I had to redesign and remake the shelf for the Scrubber, got that cut and one coat of paint on it. Not sure I am quite finished with the shelf yet, won't know that till I get the Scrubber put together. So tommrow, mount the boards for the MP40 stuff and move the MP40 stuff, am not looking foward to that :( then try and get the Scrubber up and running. Not sure anyone is interested in all of this, but that was my day with my tank :)

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Everything is done :) more or less, I need to figure out some thing with the Algae Scrubber's LED power cords. The wires are just to short to make it to my power source without an extenision cord. Its even further to the Apex, where is where I want to end up with them. I did enough today so I will mess with power cords another day. I did figure out that I need a larger pump to run my manifold system. Just not enough there to run the GFO reactor,Carbon reactor and the Algae Scrubber. Moving the Mp40 stuff wasn't as much of a pain as I though it would be, it sure is alot nicer and easier to get to where they are at now. I do want to pick up another Battery back up for the MP40s, would like to have one for each power head. For my skills :( everything turned out pretty good.

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Post by Shadow1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:21 pm

I have seen a couple of build threads for battery backups including the plugs for ecotec stuff. BRK sit I think even had the part numbers and pictures cost around $50 I think. I am anxious to see how long it takes for you to see results.

Redfish
Discus Member

Post by Redfish » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:51 pm

I saw that post on the battery backup with the parts list. You can ask Gerwin :) I wanted to go that route but decided to go with the EcoTech Marine battery backup. There is something to be said for a nice compact, easy to mount package. The upside to the DIY backup, I think the life span on that unit was like three times longer than the EcoTech backup. They say you can get 32 hours of running time per MP40 with one battery backup, I should be able to have the generator up and running by then. I am thinking that I won't get that much growth with the Scrubber that quick, I should know in about 15 days what I can expect. Be interesting to watch though LOL Run home from work, go straight to the Scrubber and check it :)