Curing live rock in the wild..

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
CaptJohn
Guppy Member
My SetUp: 90 gal reef. Zoathids, frogspawn, torch, shrooms, few fish.

Curing live rock in the wild..

Post by CaptJohn » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Buying dry rock is a lot cheaper than buying fully cured live rock. So I have been thinking about curing some live rock in the wild. My plan would involve placing some dry rock in a bag (or bags) take it out to horn island and letting it stay in the water for a month or two. Then bring it home and scrub in down really good. After that place it in a trash can with couple fully cured rocks and power heads and let it sit for a couple weeks. ( while monitoring the water quality, changing water as needed) I know there is a risk of picking up populates and stuff, but I think it would be far less of a chance at the island. Would like to hear what ya'll think of this. Do ya'll think the cons would out way the pros?

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Re: Curing live rock in the wild..

Post by Shadow1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:53 am

Too much risk of too many bad things IMHO, throw it in a garbage can with a shrimp heater and power heads and let-er rip about 4 weeks and it should cycle.....there are also several very good commercial bio boosters Dr. Tim's comes to mind that you can use to hasten a cycle. Even on the far side of the Islands it's risky.

CaptJohn
Guppy Member
My SetUp: 90 gal reef. Zoathids, frogspawn, torch, shrooms, few fish.

Post by CaptJohn » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:24 pm

Thanks for the input.. I'll prob. use the ole trash can method. But it sure would be nice to toss it in the water and forget it. :mrgreen:

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:20 am

you can toss into trash can and forget it there too :wink: