Another Lesson Learned

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Another Lesson Learned

Post by Redfish » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:11 am

Well, I feel like and idiot,,,, again,,,, I am posting this so that others may learn from my error, if you feel like laughing at me, feel free to do it, I did. I have had the Skimmer that I am running, pretty much from my start in the hobby, its a 200g system Reef Octopus Skimmer. This Skimmer has always been very temperamental, that's a nice way of saying, it has been a pain in my %$#@& You put your hands in the sump, you would have to re set the Skimmer, if you did a water change to the tank, you better shut that Skimmer off before you start. It got to where it would over flow the Skimmer cup at the drop of a hat, was close to spending the $$$$ for a new Skimmer, had already bought a new pump for the Skimmer. I blame the Skimmer for my several failed attempts at SPS corals because of this over flowing Skimmer Cup. That's not to say my system didn't need to be tweaked in other areas also, but the Skimmer, in my opinion was the main culprit. Before I spent the $$$$ on a new Skimmer, I thought I would post something in the LARC Forum to see if anyone had any thoughts on the Skimmer problems I was having. Jorge, a moderator in the Forum suggested that the problem with the Skimmer was that the Skimmer was running in to deep of water in the sump. After trying to talk him out of this idea, he stayed fast with his diagnosis and I raised the Skimmer about an inch or so, re set the Skimmer, it has stayed at that setting ever since, thats unheard of with my Skimmer. When I bought the Skimmer, the instructions said to set the water depth for the Skimmer at 10 to 11 inches, I had Wess put the baffles in the sump Skimmer section at 10 1/2 inches, split the difference. All this time, all I had to do was raise the stupid thing :roll:

Shadow1
Discus Member
My SetUp: 300DD Reef, 30 Nuvo Breeding Clowns, 30 QT/Grow out.

Re: Another Lesson Learned

Post by Shadow1 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Dont feel bad, My skimmer sits on 5 pieces of 1/2" thick layers of Corian.... :evil:

Took a long time to figure it out.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:20 pm

That's odd Pete, because I thought we looked up your skimmer depth. Anyway, what do you have it sitting on? I've got some scrap pieces lying around and I could throw together a simple stand for it if you want. If so, just let me know the base-plate measurements of the skimmer and we'll go from there.

Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Post by Redfish » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:44 pm

bluwtr wrote:That's odd Pete, because I thought we looked up your skimmer depth. Anyway, what do you have it sitting on? I've got some scrap pieces lying around and I could throw together a simple stand for it if you want. If so, just let me know the base-plate measurements of the skimmer and we'll go from there.
We did look it up :) it said 10 to 11 inches, it also said 10 to 11 inches on the box when I bought it, go figure. I have it sitting on the platform you made for the pump in the Top Off Tank, its no where big enough for a permanent platform though. If you could put something together, that would be great, it would need to be about 7x7 inches, nothing fancy, just a top and two sides on it. I am guessing here, the platform you made for the Top Off Pump looks to be about 1 inch tall, maybe a bit more, I will measure it. I want to let the skimmer run for a few days first though to make sure the height of that platform is enough and that the Skimmer doesn't over flow the cup again.

Sandy
Discus Member
My SetUp: 180gal saltwater reef, 6-80watt T5 lights, 2 powerheads in tank, 2 return pumps in a 40gal sump, uv sterilizer, gfo and carbon reactor.

Post by Sandy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:42 pm

I know where you messed up Pete!! You read the directions! :lol: :lol: :lol: You MEN never read the directions! That was your problem. Next time just go with it and see what happens! :mrgreen:

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:30 am

Sounds good Pete. Just let me know what height it needs to be and we'll make you something. :thumbup:

JimmyZ19
Angel Member
My SetUp: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef born on 24 November 2012.

Post by JimmyZ19 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:15 am

Hey Brother welcome to the club!!! I did the same thing for the first six weeks or so. My skimmer was not working correctly and all I did the whole time is cuss the stupid thing. I am a huge perfectionist so I was getting ready to say F it! Another problem that in the end was solved by the infamous "Gerlock."

Don't feel like an idiot because you're not and thanks for posting to us newbies because I am sure you helped someone!