Keep your tanks Topped OFF!

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Keep your tanks Topped OFF!

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:20 pm

One of the single things that drives me crazy is when I see a Aquarium that has evaporated like 5 inches, and those little white lines are all above the water , like some geological excavation showing the different periods of time based on the lines in the rock!

Now I know some folks believe this is a form of simple water change, and if they let the water disappear by 25% they will have done their part for the fish they love, that month.....NOT . You see, they are right in one way, the water did go away, but all the crap was left behind, and they top off with fresh water only making a concentrated nitrate pit!
These are poor uninformed people who think 1yr is a great life for fish to live.

So as you see the water drop a 1/4 to 1/2 inch, get up during a commercial, walk to your sink , draw some water add some dechlor and pour it into your aquarium, and you will never have mineral deposits etched in your tank, or some science dept. coming to your house to check out your tank.
Last edited by Gerwin on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:22 pm

did I say the One thing, I meant, One of many things :wink:

Doug
Site Admin
My SetUp: 1984: 90 gal. saltwater, O'Dell tank, Oceanic Systems cabinet stand, (2) Perfecto 48" strip lights with Vita-Lite Power Twists, Aqualogy Bio-Grade Plus Undergravel filter, (2) Hagen Aquaclear 800 power heads, Eheim 2217 canister filter with Chemi-Pure, Hawaiian Marine Angstrom 2537 UV sterilizer

Post by Doug » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:18 pm

It's especially important to understand the "only the water evaporates" principle with saltwater tanks. Many years ago, an exasperated customer levied an age-old complaint, "Whenever I buy a new fish from here, it dies the first week, but all my old fish are fine." All the standard questions regarding acclimation procedures were asked, with nothing out of the ordinary discovered. Finally, after many other diagnostic questions, a house-call was made. The tank was evaporated down only an inch-- no big deal. Equipment was checked, temperature verified, test kits employed. Finally, on a whim, the hydrometer was dropped into the tank. Well, it floated so high it almost tipped on it side. Specific gravity: 1. 036! Seems she had for months, even years maybe, been topping up the evaporation with saltwater! Her old fish had gradually adjusted over time, but anything new added, even though acclimated the prescribed amount of time, went into immediate osmotic shock, and literally died of dehydration-- right there in a tank full of water.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:17 pm

Doug wrote:It's especially important to understand the "only the water evaporates" principle with saltwater tanks. Many years ago, an exasperated customer levied an age-old complaint, "Whenever I buy a new fish from here, it dies the first week, but all my old fish are fine." All the standard questions regarding acclimation procedures were asked, with nothing out of the ordinary discovered. Finally, after many other diagnostic questions, a house-call was made. The tank was evaporated down only an inch-- no big deal. Equipment was checked, temperature verified, test kits employed. Finally, on a whim, the hydrometer was dropped into the tank. Well, it floated so high it almost tipped on it side. Specific gravity: 1. 036! Seems she had for months, even years maybe, been topping up the evaporation with saltwater! Her old fish had gradually adjusted over time, but anything new added, even though acclimated the prescribed amount of time, went into immediate osmotic shock, and literally died of dehydration-- right there in a tank full of water.
very good point! I to have seen this very common practice with the new marine tank owner.
I might add, that again evaporation not only leaves salt behind but also the poop and all its derivatives.....evaporation- DOES NOT COUNT AS A PARTIAL WATER CHANGE