Unsolvable issue

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Kevin129
Guppy Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Unsolvable issue

Post by Kevin129 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:47 pm

First I would like to say I am an electrician, and am willing to give this a shot there are a ton of good answers here but it seems to me this is a case of induced voltage caused by lights, and pumps for example which is why u see a difference when u turn the lights out, so In other terms I don't believe this is a total case of Leakey voltage or stray voltage there maybe a little but the majority of it is going to be induced voltage, best way and only way I know to get rid of it is thur a ground probe, hope I helped let me know if I did or not or if there is something i may can explain better or in more detail

Archie
Discus Member

Re: Unsolvable issue

Post by Archie » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 am

before you and/or anybody starts placing a grounding probe in tank and changing parts out. i would check ground on the house and the circuit the aquarium is using.(i would recommend you get a licensed electrician for this.) electrical problems generally are ground in nature. like twinn said earlier could be one of the neutral legs. just my 2 cents.

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:37 am

In not keen on adding a ground probe because of the completing circuit thing...I've heard of people frying their tank with a ground probe and a faulty powerhead. I understand the basic concepts of induced voltage, gfci, etc. hHw do I check my house ground? I noticed it is only the pieces with two prong plugs that are introducing a voltage to my tank, besides the t5s.

Is there a reason the two prong components would be introducing voltages and not three prong components. Three prong components all add the acceptable 1-3 induced voltage in understand basically radiates from the body, concerned about that. Each two prong component introduces 15-20v, no measurable current but voltage.

Kevin129
Guppy Member

Unsolvable issue

Post by Kevin129 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 pm

I wouldn't recommend u checking it if u aren't very comfortable with circuitry and I understand not wanting to add a probe the only other option would be less pumps

Kevin129
Guppy Member

Post by Kevin129 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:41 pm

And only reason I can think of for the two prong stuff adding and not 3 prong is that the ground is grounding about the bulk of the induced current where are u located I may can drive by and check it for u

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:18 pm

Can you explain your last comment a little better? I live in Starkville ms.

Kevin129
Guppy Member

Post by Kevin129 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Assume u mean the two and three prong plugs, if so the ones with three as they attempt to generate voltage thur friction they are grounded so it minimizes the voltage in which it attempts to create ( induce) that's the only logical reason I can think they would be less I am in Hattiesburg so that's a little far for me but to check the ground u would need to turn the power off pull the GFCI out of the wall disconnect all wires and ohm them out but I would seriously recommend an electrician 120v kills more people in a year thur shock and burns then any other voltage

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:29 am

I think I found the issue, causing all of the craziness going on with voltage in my tank. I'll try to explain it, but I'm not sure I totally fixed it. It seems that the way my bulbs and reflectors were positioned they wer picking up stray voltages and sending out their own, all kinds of crazy stuff going on with that.

I redesigned how the lights were attached to the tank to move the bulbs and reflectors further from the water. Tested for voltage and it was 0.6-0.7 so problem seems fixed. Didn't use a ground probe or anything.

Gerwin
Discus Member

Post by Gerwin » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:45 am

I've seen that many times. Especially with older lighting systems and reflectors. Even old cords laying rims of salt encrusted tanks.

bct15
Angel Member

Post by bct15 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

What was going on "I think" is the reflectors were touching the tank, and stuff was trying to ground through them. Along the whole top of my tank and glass cross beams I was getting 7-15 volts on the glass. Glass has iron in it, which is conductive and micro salt spray is as well. I clean the salt off my reflectors and tank tops once a month, but can't get it all off apparently. I moved the t5s in a way that the reflectors don't touch anything and the entire issue was fixed instantly. It is kind of crazy, and the last thing I imagined would fix it because the t5s were not anywhere near the water. The lights are just DIY retrofit kit with good reflectors and water proof end caps. This problem has been driving me crazy for a long time...when I measured the voltage on the top glass I instantly knew what it was.

I actually measured it wrong yesterday, since I fixed it there is 5-7 volts in my tank at all times, which can be expected from the induce voltage from the magnetic pumps. No current though.