Dosing with "Kalk"

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
tepperchris
Guppy Member
My SetUp: 150g reef tank, 75g hex predator tank, 20g frag tnak

Dosing with "Kalk"

Post by tepperchris » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:47 pm

So I keep hearing about dosing with Kalk and decided to google and see the pros and cons. I found a great article that breaks down what it is, what it does good/bad, what it effects, and how to do it.

If any of you guys use it please comment how you use it and what you use to dose, trying to see the best way I can implement it into my tank

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Re: Dosing with "Kalk"

Post by bluwtr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Hey Chris. I run kalk in my ATO. I have been for over three years. My ATO bucket holds 4 gallons or so, so I mix 5 gallons of RO/DI water with a heaping 1/3 cup of Mrs. Wage's Pickling Lime and stir it well. I let is sit (covered) for at least 24 hours. After it settles and is crystal clear, I siphon into my ATO and am good to go. I "dose" it when the ATO kicks on.

Boom! That simple.

tepperchris
Guppy Member
My SetUp: 150g reef tank, 75g hex predator tank, 20g frag tnak

Post by tepperchris » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Awesome thanks for the advice

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Post by eric the red » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 am

I also dose with Kalk in my ato. Wes seems to have a way better way of doing it. I have a 15 gallon reservoir. I use 1/3 cup. (Sounds like I can use a little more) I use mrs. Wage pickling lime also. (It available at walmart) When I refill my ato I just add the pickling lime to the reservoir and stir. I've got my apex programmed so if the ph raises above 3.4 the ato will shut off.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:36 am

So now a bit of something to consider,
I like the Apex idea as a step to stop use if Ph rises, and thats fine if your home all the time but a vacation could be issue when sump runs dry...but I guess you'll get a text in the Bahamas to warn you ? :lol:

Also remember that dosing via evaporation although fairly consistent in Ms, changes throughout the year 2 gallons during winter and 1 during summer for example, this must be noted as Ca levels could fluctuate as well as Ph.

The preferred method would be to put doser for Kalk on a timed method so absolute control of amount and thereby tank consistency would be in place.
Just a thought for the OLd School crowd :wink:

JimmyZ19
Angel Member
My SetUp: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef born on 24 November 2012.

Post by JimmyZ19 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:32 am

Gerwin, I've read multiple times where people dose two part in addition to Kalk. I will stick to my method of strictly two part but for the sake of becoming more knowledgeable, why would this be needed/beneficial? I understand that demand with larger tanks would present the need for a Ca reactor. Is this where adding in Kalk to two part allows someone with large system to avoid a reactor?

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Post by Gerwin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:19 am

Using kalk for larger systems is more like a accessory calcium for some. Kalk has some benefits in regards to ph and I believe even phosphate precipitation and often especially with calcium reactors the ratio of ca to alk is low on the ca side. So the use of another source. Be it calcium hydroxide or calcium chloride can make up the diff.

JimmyZ19
Angel Member
My SetUp: 90 Gallon Mixed Reef born on 24 November 2012.

Post by JimmyZ19 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:30 am

Ah ha. Thanks old man.

eric the red
Discus Member
My SetUp: Equipment: 225 gallon (72x30x24), 3 radion pros, 2 48" t5s (ato blue plus), 2 mp40s, full apex with ph probe, wxm module, brs gfo reactor, reef octopus nwb200, DIY ATO with Kalk in reservoir water, two micom dosers (dosing 2 part) Livestock is mostly zoas/palys and sps. I also have quite a selection of high end Lps on the sand bed.

Dosing with "Kalk"

Post by eric the red » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:40 pm

I've yet to have an issue where my evaporation was so high that my fail safe would be activated. But I have been using a very moderate amount of Kalk. I mainly have it in case my ato sensor gets stuck on and the Kalk nukes my tank.

bluwtr
Discus Member
My SetUp: 55g, 70#'s lr, 40#'s ls, 10 DIY acrylic sump, in sump skimmer, 1 Jebao wp20 and 2 Koralia 1050 controlled by a Smart Wave, DIY LED's--12 RB, 10 UV's and 8 CW.

Post by bluwtr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 am

I've been lucky in that my tank evaporates the 4 gallons of my ATO about every 6 days regardless of the season. I know I will have to go to a Ca reactor when I get the 135 up and running, but until then I am pretty happy.