Removing Chemi Clean from your tank

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Redfish
Discus Member
My SetUp: AGA 150g 48x30x25, Reef Octopus Skimmer, Bio Pellet, Phosphate, Carbon reactor. Mostly a SPS coral tank with a few zoas a Green Polyp Toadstool, a Chalice or two and a couple of Scollys thrown in there. Top Off System and dosing pump system for Calcium and Alk.

Removing Chemi Clean from your tank

Post by Redfish » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:56 am

I am posting this here in FishyStuff, so that it will kinda stay here for someone to use when they need to read it, instead of on the FB page where it is,,, here today and gone tomorrow, when someone else might need it.

On the box of Chemi Clean, the instructions tell you to add a certain amount of the product, based on the size of your tanks water volume. The box also says, after 3 days you will have to do a certain percentage of a water change to your system, and that a follow up treatment might be needed.

Ok, here is the thing with this stuff,,,, even if you follow the directions to the letter when adding the product to your system (which I never did, I always added more) your skimmer is still going to be messing up after you do the recommend size water change, until the Chemi Clean is out of your system. What I am going to tell you here is how to get it out of your system the fastest way you can so that your skimmer will get back to working right. To do this, you have to prepare before you even put the Chemi Clean into your tank.

What ever size water change you think you are going to have to be pre paired to do according to the instructions on the box of Chemi Clean after 3 days, double that amount of water. Make this water up in advance of putting the Chemi Clean into your tank. This will give you time to get the temp. & salinity right.

So now it has been 3 days with the Chemi Clean in your tank, its time to do the water change. First thing get yourself a stool, your going to need it. Do the recommended size water change, before your turn your skimmer back on, adjust your skimmer to all the way closed, set it like you were going to skim your tank really dry. Turn the skimmer back on, set on your stool, you are going to be here awhile, be pre paired for that.

Your skimmer is going to overflow, what you are wanting to do here is remove the skimmed water out of your skimmer and replace it with the extra water you had made up before you added the Chemi Clean to your tank. You are going to start to think the skimmer will never get back to working right ,,,,but at some point it will. At some point in all of this, after removing the skimmed water from the skimmer and adding the new saltwater to the tank, the Chemi Clean is going to start to get diluted in your system, to the point your skimmer will start to skim less and less and you will be able to start opening your skimmer up that you had closed all the way. When you have the skimmer set to about where you would normally have it set at, you are done.

C-21 USAF
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Removing Chemi Clean from your tank

Post by C-21 USAF » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:37 pm

Adding a lot of carbon should help too.

Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

Re: Removing Chemi Clean from your tank

Post by Gerwin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:43 pm

thanks for the write up