How much should I feed my fish?

Anything Aquarium-Related that does not fit neatly into one of the other categories.
Gerwin
Discus Member
My SetUp: Custom profile field not completed.

How much should I feed my fish?

Post by Gerwin » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:15 pm

This is a difficult question to answer because everyones needs are different. I will base th eanswer toward the new aquarium setup.
Those with different situations that would like our opinion please feel free to ask, and I will in time place more feeding advise in this thread.

Feeding of your fish tank is probably one of the most important things you will do for your aquarium. To over feed is to destroy your fish tank ecosytem and to under feed is to have poor quality fish. So what do you do?

My peave is when I ask someone how much they are feeding their fish and the answer is " I only give them a pinch or two, twice a day".... WOW, is that a fact :roll: well its not their fault, didn't read this site first 8)
So anyway I have been recommending this idea for over 20 years now, as I had to have a way, that made it clear to new hobbyists how important this issue is.
Take the lid off the fish food, count out 2-3 flakes per fish in your tank and place them in the lid (size does not matter, a piece is a piece) then dump the lid into the tank.(well don't "dump the lid", just pour flakes from it, into tank) Notice I did not say grind it to powder or tap approx. qty. into the tank :!: And do this once a day until this new tank cycles in, then do it twice a day from then on. Supervise your kids!!!! and explain to them , to much can kill their fish.

In time we will discuss frozen foods etc and their use. Again specific Q's posed by you the reader, will help many and give me something to write about.

Proper feeding and monthly partial water changes will insure long life, great color and growth to you finned pets.